close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Neighbor's dogs are a threat to my family

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TrustMyG23, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrustMyG23

TrustMyG23

The kids are no longer feeling safe just to play in our own backyard without my supervision because of this aggressive dog. It could easily push the fence half way down and come over anytime.

I've talked to the home owner last week and he's simply ignored the problem ever since.

In case you wonder, why i did not try to patch/repair the fence or how the fence got damaged ?

Their trees' branches overgrown and damaged those fence panels, and i had to cut it off for them. With a simple repair on my side is not enough because the dogs are keep damaging it.

What can or should i do ?

Attached Files:

• dog.jpg
      dog.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. rock_jock

rock_jock

There is no such thing as a shared fence. It is either on your property or your neighbor's. If the former, repair the fence and inform your neighbor that you will take him to small claims court if his dog or tree damages it again. If the latter, put up your own.

3. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

Got a hose? Not sure if that would help or just make things worse. I'm assuming that it is a mean grumpy dog that wants to eat your children? :supergrin:

Is it your fence or their fence?

If yours, maybe you can make them repair it as destruction of private property or something?

4. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Neighbors...gotta love them. If I wasn't so upside down on my house I would have been out of here a loooooong time ago. Talking to them about any matter only makes things worse (in my circumstance.)

5. grady3003

grady3003

had a simular experience as that when i was a kid.dad had me mow the yard one day teeing off the dog til he came in our yard.once he came into our yard his fate was made with a 16 ga. shotgun.law enforcement was called,the explanation of self defense was made,the dog was in our yard,and witnesses saw him coming for me and the dogs owner had been pre warned about the fence.case closed.this seems extreme but is a option. if your in city limits or a heavy populated area you can go through animal control to have the owner of the dog to fix as it would violate the leash laws.

6. TrustMyG23

TrustMyG23

i am not sure if it on my side of the property of theirs. but i will double check! I am pretty sure that the tenants don't care. that is why I've talked to the home owner last week.

7. TrustMyG23

TrustMyG23

i'm a nice neighbor, I've been repairing it for the past years and i'm tired of doing so. Gotta do something about it now.

8. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

:thumbsup: Good advice.

I hope you don't have to resort to harming a dog to get this issue resolved.

9. TrustMyG23

TrustMyG23

Yes, i am in a populated area and animal control is just down the block. I will definitely keep this in mind, if the problem is not solve. Thanks!

10. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

I refuse to believe that a couple of 4x4s, a post hole digger, and a few bags of concrete can't shut that gap up regardless of how the tree pushes it. Stringing the space with barbed/electrified wire (safe voltage professionally done!) might also be a satisfactory interim measure. Is the dog aggressive, barking and snarling? Or is it just curious and bored with his own yard? Worse case you could just run a chain link fence a foot into your yard along that side. If the dog does ever get through he'll be stuck in the narrow run and you can call animal control.

11. TrustMyG23

TrustMyG23

The dog is aggressive, snarling and barking aggressively. I cannot do any of those, since it might violate my HOA's jungle laws...

12. RoundBrown

RoundBrown

Pepper spray it next time it sticks its head through the hole.

13. irishbum

irishbum

As far as I know, privacy fence you have to put the pickets on the outside. You are required to put the post and horizontal boards on the inside of you propery= his fence. May differ in your area?

I love dogs but would kill the dog a million times over if it involved my kids. I don't blame the dog I blame the owner. Dog is just being a dog.

Looked like a Rottie , I have one the nicest dog in the world, very good with my children.Will add if she does not know you and you are on the property I WOULD NOT wanna be you.

14. irishbum

irishbum

My dog is cool though she wears sunglasses inside she is so cool. Her name is Bianca it means white.:cool:

[​IMG]

15. Stover918

Stover918

good luck, but do what you must. They are your kids!

My pistols, however, I always kept by me

16. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

If I were in this situation, I would be such a thorn in the owner of the dog and houses side until the fence was "properly repaired" or the dog was gone. To me, that fence looks like hell and I doubt a simple repair will remedy the problem and replacing the whole thing would be a better idea. I would inform the dog owner that if it gets onto your property that it will be shot, PERIOD! I would get with the HOA about the fence as it looks like ass and keep complaining daily til something is done. I would also complain to animal control repeatedly. Enough complaining = results. Good luck!

17. 220-9er

220-9er

Police report and a letter to the HOA and the other homeowner informing them of the danger presented and that you have made them aware of the problem. Also state that they have ignored the problem showing negligence. If there is any way to determine who has his homeowners insurance policy send a copy of the letter to them too.

18. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

1. Tell neighbor his dog is a threat, and if it comes on your property you WILL shoot it.
    2. Follow through on item 1.

19. aaronmj

aaronmj

I've heard if you build the fence, the nice looking side has to face the neighbors property. If this holds true, it's his fence in the pic...

20. BK63

BK63

My neighbor, this old guy that is passed away now, yelled at me for 20 years about everything. I could not please the guy although I did everything he asked. Finally after 2 years of his yelling I put up a fence that he asked me to put up between our properties. I paid for the whole thing and put it all up myself. He yelled cause the post side was towards his house. At that point I told the old geezer to shut the hell up and leave me alone. Never talked to him again. I've never seen anybody put up a fence and put the post side towards their own house. As for the op, I would call animal control and put in a complaint, and maybe put up your own chain link fence to protect your kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.