close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Neighbors can see me playing with reloader. Problem?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by vtducrider, May 17, 2014.

1. vtducrider

vtducrider
    Expand Collapse

I finally got my reloader going again at the new house today! Having no basement, I naturally set up the bench in the garage. It was a beautiful sunny day in Austin, not too hot, a little breezy. It was quite nice and comfortable playing shop in the garage. Having a jolly old grand time, until some neighbors were out walking by, with kids, dogs in tow... That got me thinking, is it cool to play with the garage door open? It hadn't occur to me until today, that some people might know what I am doing, and feel uneasy about it. What do you guys think?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Photoman642

Photoman642
    Expand Collapse

Some will. Some wont. There was a guy in the neighborhood that would walk his dog and always stop by and talk about my old car. One day he walked by and realized what I was doing at the reloading bench... Never heard another word from the guy... He walks by and will not even look. I don't take it personal. You never know what's happened in a person's life and why they feel so strong about guns.

I prefer that the whole neighborhood not know that I have guns so I try to keep a low profile but I don't live like a hermit either.

3. lefty60

lefty60
    Expand Collapse

I would be more worried about stories starting that you have valuable "stuff" in your garage/house.:wow: :dunno:

Stay safe:supergrin:

4. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Up to you, but I don't want unknown people knowing my business & what I own & do. It's an invite for trouble, but your decision. I reload in my garage too. I just never have the door up more than 1/3 when doing it. Keep in mind all manner of people drive by your open garage too.

#4 fredj338, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  5. cfrye11

cfrye11
    Expand Collapse

Why not stop the door about two feet from the ground . That way you get some air and no one can see exactly what your doing.

They will just figure your doing drugs.

cftye11

6. vtducrider

vtducrider
    Expand Collapse

I will try partially closing the garage door... It's only going to get hotter here, for the next 5 months :( Probably will have to change play time to early morning or at night.

7. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

I, too, don't want the world to know that I reload. Seems that every reloader I know also has a nice cache of firearms. Why advertise?

Kind of like back in the 60's and earlier, you'd often find a gun case in a home - a windowed showcase where a hunter would show off his prized collection. You don't see them much any more as folks have learned that advertising only brings undesirables.

I reload in the garage, four presses and a major collection of brass, tools, bullets and what nots. While there is a double window at the bench, the front yard is well landscaped to keep the general public at the street from seeing in. I get nervous anytime I have to have a repair mechanic come to the house. Sometimes, I'll try to cover up what I can, but it's near impossible. I was quite joyed when the pool repair man saw the equipment, took an interest the hobby and has now become a fellow reloader and shooter. BTW, king sized sheets help a bit. Let their imagination run rampant; those sheets are for keeping dust off of the bench. :supergrin:

8. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean
    Expand Collapse

You are in the libturd capital of TX...there will be some anti-gun idiots close by. Shoot...one of my neighbors still has his 0bama/b1den sticker on his cars. Just be careful about turning your back to the street if you leave your garage door open--you never know who will be passing by.

I usually load late at night or early in the morning, and have a box fan close by to help out. You'll get used to the heat after a while, and you'll soon figure out that the best times to hit the range in the summertime are in the early morning hours just as the range opens.

9. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20
    Expand Collapse
    LongTerm-Guy

~ "That got me thinking, is it cool to play with the garage door open?" ~

*To each their own....
    ......But one never know`s how big of a can of worms a nosy...`Gossippie` neighbor can open...many enjoy privacy and never tempt chance...

#9 LASTRESORT20, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  10. BobbyS

BobbyS
    Expand Collapse
    You Talkin ToMe

Exactly why I just ordered a mini split ac system today for my garage. Gonna do a whole lotta reloading this summer. I'm in NM so it gets warm here too.

#10 BobbyS, May 18, 2014
  11. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

You can be the nicest guy in the world, have no bad intentions, smile at your neighbors, always say "hi", and some assclown who knows nothing about guns will ask you "whatchadoin?". Next thing you know, the story will be circulating in the neighborhood about the terrorist who has evil gunz and enough ammo to supply an insurrection.

Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but eventually someone who knows nothing about our culture -- and who is phobic about guns -- will ask you what that contraption is. The consequences will affect the freedom you think you have in these matters.

Stay on the best possible terms with all your neighbors. Keep your garage door closed.

12. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

A friend of mine was loading in his garage quite a few years ago about 2 in the morning with the garage door open and the radio on but not load enough for the sound to leave the property. A Sheriff’s deputy pulls up and tells him that his radio was too loud. So then my friend asked the deputy what he really was there for. It seems someone either drove by or walked by and seen a bottle of Nitro 100 sitting on the table with the label facing the road and thought he was building a bomb.
    If I had to load in the garage I would build me a reloading room that had heating and air. Something I’m thinking about doing. So we can turn my reloading room in the house back into a guest bedroom. Or I would at least install a window air conditioner.

13. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348
    Expand Collapse
    Happy Member

This America, reload in your front yard if you want.

I do it and build/fit 1911s with the garage door fully open and there is plenty of pedestrian traffic as my house is at the base of a popular hiking trail.

#13 FLIPPER 348, May 18, 2014
  14. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

One wonders how many lists you're on.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

:agree:

Obviously if they see you reloading (and know what you're doing) they will know their are guns in the house. Personally, I just don't like my neighbors knowing that sort of thing.

16. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Even though you may have the legal right to do whatever you want on your property. With this terrorist threat climate we live in now. Why would anyone want to draw attention to one self? Then one day you have a Liberal cop show up and have to explain on what you are doing to someone that thanks that only cops should have guns. Just because you can does not mean that you should.

17. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I understand the thought, but you are asking to have your home burglarized when you are away, foolish. Same reason I don't put nra stickers on my car, leave my front door unlocked, etc. yeah you have the right but doesn't make it smart.

#17 fredj338, May 18, 2014
  18. blastfact

blastfact
    Expand Collapse

I do as I want. I set on the front porch and trim brass, sort brass, clean weapons. I have a old Carver The Receiver and a pair of Bose 101's I fire up. The audio equipment has been on the front porch for 15 years. The town and county I live in is largely democrat at the local level. And the blacks love Obummer. But everybody is a 2A supporter and owns firearms. The number of firearm owners is amazing.

The Cops, DA and Judges are big time 2A supporters. And stand your ground has been the norm here long before it was law. The trash in town has ended up in one of four places. Dead, Long Term Prison, within one of three area's in town were they can steal and rob from each other. Or down the road.

19. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

What a revelation blacks are for Obama. What I can’t understand is if people are pro 2A why they keep voting for Democrats. A Politician will say anything they can to get elected. They also may believe in the 2A. But once they get to Washington they will vote the way Harry Reed and Nancy Pelosi want them to vote. Democrats are not pro 2A no matter what they say.

20. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Because they are confused or dishonest with themselves. You can not in honesty call yourself a progun democrat, they are diametrically opposed. Every time you vote for your union job or some other liberal cause, you are voting against your gun rights! Confused or stupid, just give up your guns & let the govt save you, leave the rest of us alone.
    We'll face this soon in nov. go vote, vote sart, vote for a rep, regardless of your libertarian convictions. Sometimes it's about winning the war not a single battle.:whistling:

#20 fredj338, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014