close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Negligent discharges while re-holstering.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by cfr, Jun 13, 2011.

1. cfr

cfr
    Expand Collapse

I've always told myself I wouldn't carry a Glock IWB without a NY trigger on it. However, I just got a G27 for IWB carry, and really dont see myself doing that.

I spoke to a friend that carries a Glock, and what he does is takes the holster out of his pant, puts the Glock in it, and then puts the whole thing in his pants. This makes sense to me, and seems to really mitigate the risk quite a bit.

I'm not a LEO, and would therefore never need to unholster my Glock to detain someone, then need to reholster it.

I did this a bunch of times yesetrday while shooting my new Glock. While its a pain, it seems like really good practice. It may not be as cool looking as "I'm the only one here that can handle a Glock fou-tay"..., but I'm willing to take that chance. :cool:

Thoughts?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

Thoughts?

Training.

Range time.

More training.

My G27 is my every day carry. IWB %90 of the time.

:cool:

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

I never reholster my striker-fired guns IWB while loaded (OWB is fine). The retention is usually tight and the shirt material is too close to the trigger.

I don't really carry any hammer fired guns but I wouldn't mind reholstering with those since I could put my thumb over the hammer and would feel the hammer moving while reholstering.

4. eastx

eastx
    Expand Collapse

Has never crossed my mind, I am not in the habit of drawing and re-holstering except for practice, and I tend to keep my finger off the trigger until I am on target

5. cfr

cfr
    Expand Collapse

Good point. For clarity, I am not worried about my finger on the trigger, but clothing, the holster itself, etc.

6. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

That's the only way I ever use a leather IWB holster. I will reholster with my kydex IWB, but with leather it's just easier to take out the holster and put the whole thing back in. I don't do it for fear of shooting myself, but I've carried Glocks IWB with no holster at times over the last 20+ years, so I'm not that scared of them.

7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

CFR,

Take your UNLOADED G27 (trigger forward) and practice holstering/unholstering it with your normal clothes on, IWB holster in place.

You will see it will be difficult/impossible for the trigger to move at all.

Training, Training, Training.

:cool:

8. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls
    Expand Collapse

Watch as you re-holster & it should never be a problem. But it's training training & more training.
    Another internet BS thought.

9. Pred8tory

Pred8tory
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Copper
    Lifetime Member

Certain holsters are made to make this simpler, like a Blade-Tech kydex IWB.

10. djpuffnstuff

djpuffnstuff
    Expand Collapse

have a crossbreed supertuck (leather and kydex) and I re-holster everyday with a round chambered. Unless my finger is in the trigger gaurd the trigger will not be pulled.

11. Texcowboy

Texcowboy
    Expand Collapse

I use a Safe-T-Block on my Glocks to keep the trigger from being snagged on clothing or the edge of a leather holster.
    I know some will jump on and say that is not needed, etc., etc., just saying what I use and what makes me comfortable.
    If you are not familiar with the Safe-T-Block it is a triangular piece of plastic that fits behind the trigger to keep it from being depressed and can be pushed out when ready to fire.

12. NWGlocker

NWGlocker
    Expand Collapse

Exactly.

OP, just practice holstering with an unloaded gun until you get the hang of it. You will see that as long as your finger is off the trigger and above the trigger guard, you will not pull the trigger while re-holstering. I think if you are going to carry a handgun for defense you should (A) carry with one in the chamber and (B) learn to re-holster without removing the holster. God for bid you ever use your gun in self defense, when the cops show up you will not want to have it in your hand as they approach.

13. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard
    Expand Collapse
    The Anti-Glock

Just do it in front of a mirror and you wont have a problem

14. cfr

cfr
    Expand Collapse

Moved...

#14 cfr, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  15. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes
    Expand Collapse

get an MTAC IWB and you wont have to worry about it.

16. cfr

cfr
    Expand Collapse

Reholstering before police arrive? My thought had always been to put a weapon on the ground before they arrived, and I had never even considered reholstering. This would be due to adreneline, shaking, etc. Is this what most recommend?

My finger isnt the concern, clothing is. I've been carrying IWB for a few years now, but that was a Keltec P11. The trigger is much heavier/ longer on those than a Glock. I suppose it couldn't hurt to do this exercise just for kicks though.

I also know that a quality holster would be ideal. Unfortunately that is out for a while because of this. Until then I'm stuck with my $12.00 Uncle Mikes.

17. Chowser

Chowser
    Expand Collapse

If I ever have to shoot someone off duty, the gun is never going back into the holster. I will keep it ready at hand until the uniforms show up then place it on the ground and hope they see my badge before tossing me to the ground.

:rofl:

For IWB, I use a Galco UDC and it is not too hard to reholster. When I reholster, it's not some quick action, it's slow and deliberate so I'm not too concerned about pulling the trigger.

Sometimes, I use the Desantis Nemesis holster for pocket carry of my 33. If I have to reholster with that, I will take the whole holster out of my pocket.

18. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR
    Expand Collapse

I don't know what you guys are wearing but I don't see any conceivable way that clothing could cause the trigger to be pulled. If you can't safely get your gun into your holster you shouldn't be carrying in the first place.

19. cfr

cfr
    Expand Collapse

I have only heard that clothing has caused issues. I have no idea if it's factual, or only internet rumor.

20. iluv2viddyfilms

iluv2viddyfilms
    Expand Collapse

Why carry with one in the chamber though. Odds of a ND are much higher than actually needing to use it.