close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Neep help learning how to use my new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mixflip, Aug 25, 2013.

1. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I bought a Macbook Pro and I was just wondering if someone can tell me where is a good website that can help me learn the basics of this thing.

I thought I could just jump from my PC laptop to a Mac but apparently my tech skills are not as good as I thought lol. I am pretty much lost on a Mac. I can't even do a something simple like edit a picture and and text to it.

I love the look of the Mac but its painful for me to stumble through the OS after a decade of just working on a PC.

Anyone else have difficulty transitioning from PC to Mac?:dunno:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

2. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

Jan 26, 2012
    Las Vegas
    You might think I'm nuts, but I'm not. Buy "The Missing Manual" from Amazon... some Apple stores sell 'em too. It makes PC-to-Mac very simple.

3. JackMac

JackMac

Mar 13, 2011
    TX
    Apple stores have lessons you can sign up for you know.

4. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Republic of Texas
  5. sputnik767

sputnik767

Nov 1, 2007
    Chicago
    Best advice that I can give you is to just start using it. You're not going to mess anything up and the 2 systems are not terribly dissimilar. I use both on a regular basis. Biggest difference is installing applications. On a mac, when you download a program, it usually (not always) comes in the form of an image. When you mount the image (double-click to open), it is basically unzipping it. The window that comes up will have th actual program, and all you have to do is drag it into Applications. Most times you can do it right from that window. If it's a program that requires system access, it'll ask for your password. Having said that, if youre being asked for your password for no reason, you should be worried about whatever it is you are installing.

6. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Just keep using it. I felt the same when I first made the switch a few months ago but after a couple weeks it was like second nature. Once you get used to it's a lot simpler. You have times when you do something and wonder how in the world Windows got so screwed up.

7. Don H

Don H

Dec 9, 2005
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblx-K2XMOU"]New to Mac Class - By PC Classes Online - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU-TXMpovSU"]Mac Beginner Tutorial ~ Finder ~ AppleSquared Show - YouTube[/ame]

:dunno:

8. I made the jump this year and felt lost for a little, until it all just clicked.

Place 3 fingers on your touchpad and swipe up. Nifty?

Swipe side to side with 3 fingers to move between desktops.

Swipe 2 fingers to scroll up and down.

In Safari, open a few tabs, then use 2 fingers in a pinching motion. Notice how you can scroll through the tabs.

I prefer using Word for Mac, actually Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and I switched from Quicken to iBank.

9. Bulldog160

Bulldog160 Member

Mar 31, 2006
    WNY
    When in doubt look to the top menu bar. All your settings and commands can be found there if confused. That was the advice a friend gave me when I switched and it helped a lot.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009

Worst.possible.advice. dont toe their lefty political line and theyll shun you then give you the boot. Dont even mention that you also like pcs. We're always right and yiure always wrong, holier than thou attitudes.

Mac rumors mo betta.

11. TheBlazer

TheBlazer TheBlazer

Jan 2, 2011
    S.C.
    I know how you feel. I had the same WTF? look when I got my first Macbook in 2007. The best book out there is "Switching to the Mac:The Missing Manual" It comes in many editions, specifically for your OS. Be it snow leopard or lion or whatever.

It's kinda pricey, about $30.00, so Amazon is your friend. Usually around $18.00 or so on the big A.

12. I got my Macbook Pro 13" about two months ago. Seems like I figure something new out every day. There are some good Mac forums out there. I haven't joined any but I do lurk there from time to time.

13. JBerk

JBerk

Aug 7, 2013
    Ohio
    Complete bull****. Everyone on that forum will treat you very well and give you honest advise. Go into the "switcher forum" and you'll learn a lot.

14. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    One Word...

BOOTCAMP

Fixed my MacBook issues once and for all!

:rofl:

15. stevemc

stevemc

Mar 1, 2009
    Save for the Iphone, I use mostly Apple products. Had the same issues as you when starting with my macbook pro also. You will get there, it's a lot different than the PC setup. Being an intel chipset, it will run Windows if you have to use some of your old programs. You can also look on line for help or go to the store for the classes. I remember the feeling of really having a professional piece of gear when I got mine.

16. sputnik767

sputnik767

Nov 1, 2007
    Chicago
    Lol, I feel the opposite about mine.

17. jarubla

jarubla Dos Pistolas

Feb 16, 2010
    UT
    I rock a wireless windows mouse on my MB. left click and right click work the same.

If in doubt, google "how to", it helps.

What model didja get? Are you still liking it 3 1/2 weeks in?

-Jay

18. stevemc

stevemc

Mar 1, 2009
    Why is that? And why do you still have it then?