close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need wireless network help!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rtl, Sep 19, 2012.

1. rtl

rtl Robby The Guy Millennium Member

forgive my ignorance.....but i do need a little coaching.
    We like to watch netflix through wireless blu-rays, and previously we could only watch 1 tv at a time. My old router crapped out on me a couple days ago, and i replaced it with a n600 dual band.........thinking, 2 bands will let us watch on multiple tvs. sounds easy enough.
    well i get home and none of our devices can see the 5ghz band. none of the blu rays, the laptop, and none of our iphones. i can't find any settings that would seem to help either.
    do i have some options here....either with settings, or some extra hardware, or are my devices just 2.4ghz and that's just how it is?

2. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

That's what it sounds like.

3. Resqu2

Resqu2

Does it not switch between bands as it needs to?

4. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Your devices are likely single band. But that doesn't matter. 1 band per device is not how WiFi works. All your devices will share bandwidth up the limit of the router. In the case of the n600, gigabit.

Which should be plenty. Only being able to watch a blu ray on 1 tv at a time is most likely a DMCA or hardware restriction in the player.

5. rtl

Sorry....you can try to watch on two devices, but the buffering is too annoying

6. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Well, do your devices support 5GHZ N Wireless? The 5Ghz band is N. Its the latest and greatest. A couple years back is was nothing but 'draft N'. So old devices probably won't support it. N also operates at the 2.4, of course. Your devices may be operating at 2.4ghz G.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  7. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I think that's the same router I have, and I can't see 5Ghz band either. I thought I used to be able to, but maybe not. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro.

8. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Apparently not all channels are created equal. Try changing the channels on the 5Ghz band on the router. Worked for my MBP.

9. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

First thing is figure out what other signals may be interfering with your network.

Although there are multiple channels there are only 3 bands in the 2.4ghz which don't interfere with each others. If you are lucky enough to find clear space, your throughput will increase.

Next thing to note is unless your laptop is weird or REALLY old, it should have N (5ghz band). The phone probably does not have N.

So turn off the the 2.4ghz. Reboot everything. See what the different devices find.

10. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

You have some issue somewhere. At times have at least my laptop (internet based job) streaming music on Pandora while I word, a Roku (when the wife is home) streaming Netflix or Hulu, a PS or Xbox (son) playing some internet game and listening to music all using the same router, and no buffering problems on Roku with Netflix etc.

Either that or I just don't understand what is meant by buffering problems, but nothing ever stops to buffer.

11. DaneA

DaneA

Maybe you just don't have a fast enough internet connection.

12. Viper16

Viper16

Thats what I am thinking. On your computer go to www.speedtest.net and click on the nearest server, then upload us your download speeds.

13. rtl

i'll check the connection when i get home. thanks for the advice everyone

14. gigab1te

gigab1te

My wife bought a Toshiba Thrive tablet (which she loves), that advertised that it had "G" and "N" wireless. This is true, but we soon found out the tablet's N signal only broadcasts at 2.4 gHz, and our dual router only runs N at 5 gHz, so it can't see the tablet's N signal. The tablet connects perfectly to the router's G network. I have an iPad, which connects perfectly to our router's N network, because the iPad broadcasts N at 5 gHz and 2.4 gHz. My wife's Thrive tablet connects to a N network at a friend's house, and their router's N network handles 2.4 gHz.

Cliff's note version of above: I think you may need a new router that handles N signals at 2.4 gHz.

15. RC-RAMIE

RC-RAMIE

I had the same problem until I got faster internet, that would be my first guess.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Wait, whut? :dunno:

Can you describe your setup completely? I thought you were playing BluRay disks locally and trying to stream them over your LAN to multiple receivers.

Are you using your BR player to connect to Netflix (the internet)?

17. Viper16

Viper16

I think he talking about the BR players that have the wifi for Netflix.

18. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

A picture (network diagram) would say more than a thousand words.

19. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

MineVVV

[​IMG]

20. Drjones

Drjones

1) Yes, 5Ghz support is absolutely, 100% a hardware feature; older and "lower-end" devices will not typically support 5Ghz; newer and higher-end devices typically will.

The iPhone is a perfect example: I have the 4S and it does not see any 5Ghz networks but my iPad 2 does. The iPhone 5 is supposed to have support for 5Ghz networks.

2) I've found that on virtually all dual-band routers I've setup, including Netgear and Apple, the 5Ghz band is typically disabled by default and you have to manually turn it on in the routers web GUI.

Double-check that your 5Ghz is even turned on...