Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Need to get taller gearing....

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by PBCounty, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Hi there,

I've got a Suzuki DR200 (I know, not a "real" motorcyle) which I enjoy for trail riding and enjoy it's street legality as a dual-sport.

Gas prices have caused me to consider this recreational bike as a daily work commuter - however the gearing is a bit low for some of the surface streets I will need to follow.

Where can I find a source for a taller fifth gear? Should I just change the rear sprocket? What's the advice for making this thing less low-end power and more higher-end speed?
  2. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

Sep 1, 2005
    N E Louisiana
    Change 1 tooth on the countershaft(larger) its easier,cheaper to change too.

ex. go from a 14 tooth to a 15

good luck and ride safe

3. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

Apr 10, 2002
    Behind the curtain
    Try "" they can give you all the dope on the gearswap
  4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Yep. It's cheaper and easier to do the front (counter) sprocket first.
  5. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

Jul 6, 2005
    SLC, Utah
  6. popnfresh

popnfresh dauernd wachsam

Nov 19, 2003
    Corpus Christi
    What makes you feel this is not a real motorcycle? It will go a hell of lot more places than those pretty bar hopping Hardly Ablesons and their ilk. I've heard the "why not a real bike" comments from the Hardly guys at work, yet their bikes don't see rain, darkness, dirt, Monday through Friday or more than a few thousand miles a year. I would say I have the "real" bike, it takes me where I need to go 365 days a year on road or off road, rain or shine, never again will I buy a bike that is limited to smooth black top

Oh and yeah get a larger front sprocket and smaller rear sprocket, I think your bike should have a 15/45 stock that's a 3.0:1. Try to find a 16(good luck) for the front see if it works for you, if that isn't enough you will probably have to go with a smaller rear next, I am pretty sure you can get a 39T or 37T for the rear 15/37 will give you 2.47:1 which may almost be too high for the power available. Also you can get a taller rear tire that will raise the final drive ratio. If you have a 100/90-18, try a 100/100-18.

Here you go, I have ordered from >>here<< once before to get harder to find sprockets for my KLR, great deal and shipped right away, but like I said, I have only bought from them once. Midway down the page you will see the dr200 sprockets #k22-3809($20) for the 37 and k22-3811($18) for the 39. No 16T for the front bigger front always seem harder to find. With these smaller sprockets you will have to cut the chain shorter by at least 4 links.
    The 39T will probably drop your rpms by 800 in fifth gear, the 37T will be about 1000 rpms.