Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Need tips on how to store my shotgun for a long period of time

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by dc2integra, Oct 26, 2010.

1. dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    Im gonna store it for about a year.I have found some rust spots on it but i sprayed some rem oil on it and i check up on my guns regularly I cant imagine how it would look like after a year.I was told to leave it in a case and spray it with wd 40 and cover it with an old t shirt and soak that in wd 40.what do u guys think?
  2. dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    I know that storing it in a case atracts moisture but i dont have a safe yet

3. K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    As long as there aren't any fingerprints left on the weapon that haven't been wiped off with gun oil, you'll be fine for a year in a normal climate... I use Rem oil, and quite a few of my guns that stay at my parents house don't see the light of day for easily a year, and no signs of rust yet on any... Heck, until about 2 years ago all I used was WD-40 with perfect results... My father bought me an Remington 870 20 gauge when I was 7 years old (1983), and all it's had was WD-40 and doesn't have a single speck of rust anywhere on the gun inside or out... Keep the oil from your skin wiped off the metal and there's no problem...
  4. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    The only long term storage experience I have, is when a good friend passed away, his wife wanted me to preserve his Remington 1100M, S&W mdl 25-5 (.45 Long Colt) and Remington 700 BDL, for their young son to have when he 'came of age'.

I disassembled and cleaned them with Hoppe's #9 and dried them with a clean, lint-free rag.
    I saturated a rag with Break-Free CLP and wiped every metal surface and put a wet patch with CLP down each bore.
    I left each surface 'wet' with the CLP.

I re-assembled them and placed each of them inside of a 'gun sock'.
    As I re-assembled them, I wore jersey gloves so that I didn't contaminate the prepped metal with my sweat or oils, etc.

These arms were placed inside of a gun cabinet, in their bedroom closet.
    That was 20+ years ago.
    Ten years ago, when Rob came of age, we removed them from their storage place, and they looked new.

Good luck.
  5. aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Like BYF43 said use a silcon treated gun sock for long term. Never a soft case as this can enhance rust. Clean it like he said, oil it down and sock it away. It will be there waiting for you.
  6. Also, I would leave it with all springs relaxed, hammer down, mag empty.
  7. CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    If in doubt, grease it up.