close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need Tech Help -- Not a basic tech question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Zell, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Apr 22, 2007
    Utah
    I work for a company that has a hardcopy directory of people's names, addresses, phone #s, and email addresses. This directory is in print/paper form, but not available in softcopy/digital form.

Somehow, I need to get all of this contact information, or at least the names and addresses, from the hardcopy directory into an Excel spreadsheet where this information can then be edited and sortable.

I tried digitally "scanning" the text information from the hardcopy directory but that only scans the "image" of the text and does not convert the scanned text into editable/sortable information after it is pasted onto a spreadsheet. Obviously, other than hand-typing all of this information into Excel, I need to scan the data and somehow get it into Excel to be edited. But how do I do that?

Any suggestions on how to do this? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Hire some data entry temps.. :)

IGF

3. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Dec 23, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    You need OCR software to turn the scanned images into editable text. ABBYY FineReader is one that works well from what I've seen.

4. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    It's been my experience that most scanners come with OCR, Optical Character Recognition software.
    Seldom perfect but you would just have to clean up mistakes rather than typing the whole thing.

Check your scanner manufacturer's website.

5. A search for OCR software that is targeted for comma delimited text output. (see this link for Optical Character Recognition)

6. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Jan 19, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    yeah i was going to post OCR as well. we use omnipoint version like 16 or something. Well, i don't use it. But the girls here use it. It's pretty cool. They scan documents in our copier as pdfs. Then open the pdfs up in omni page. Then that can convert it to a .doc and there you go.

good luck man

7. +1. I use this to scan patient medical records into digital patient records because sometimes, as an RN, I'm required by hospital to make home visits and use old charting methods.

8. Assuming your company does not pay some poor soul to verify the results of the scan, make certain to keep the hardcopy around somewhere so it can be referenced. The scanners are good but not perfect.