Glock Talk banner

Need some Sig advice

2K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  silversport 
#1 ·
I've got a guy wanting to trade me a sig P220 in 45 for one of my nickel Model 19-4 4". I've never had any dealings with sig pistols but I love a good semi auto. So I figured I would ask the experts. It is a no rail older version but built in the US. Comes with a couple of mags and looks to be in great condition. Is this a good trade? Just looking for some advice, it won't hurt my feelings at all keeping the smith. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
I would never trade a US made Sig for a Model 19.

I wouldn't even seriously consider it with a German made one, though I would buy one.

#3 · (Edited)
If you want a single stack metal .45, it is hard to beat the P220, especially if you like a good DA/SA trigger. I have 3 US made Sig's, and they are solid and reliable(well, I know the P226E2 and the P239 are reliable, I haven't shot my new P938 yet. But I did have a very reliable P238 I gave to my stepmom).

#4 · (Edited)
I have several 1911s which I love. The smith is a very nice gun, I'm not crazy about the nickel but you cannot beat the reliability of the revolver. I just have several and wanting a new toy. But if y'all say bad idea I want do the deal. If I was to do the deal would I be able to get my money back out of the sig if I didn't like it?

#7 ·
I probably wouldn't trade any guns for other guns. I would just buy what I wanted and P220s are readily available.

OTOH, if money is tight and the 19 is a safe queen (all of my revolvers are safe queens), I would make the trade.

I have a US made P220 and it is a great pistol. I also have a P239, P229 and P229E2. I prefer the DA/SA trigger to my 1911s and Glocks. Must be old age...

Richard

#8 ·
I like the Sigs, and have three US made ones. The P220 is my favorite. Not sure if I'd want to give up a nice Smith revolver for one, but I would highly recommend picking up a Sig.

If you do it I highly recommend using grease on the rails. Sigs need adequate lube to run good.

#12 ·
It's not a money thing. The model 19 isn't a safe queen but could be. It is a pimp gun for sure. I've just never had a sig handgun and the trade was proposed to me. Didn't know so that's why I asked. Thanks for the responses. I'll keep the 19.

I could just buy the sig from the guy. What would be a good price? It does come with 5 mags. And what in y'all's opinion is the major differences between a German and American sig?

#13 ·
If it's in nearly NIB shape, $650-700ish on the high end.

German Sigs work. The finish often wasn't the greatest but the guns ran like a fat guy being chased by a pack of starving cannibals and established Sig's reputation.

The earlier US guns worked fine. Around when they went to the new-finish-every-2-days approach Sig quality control became highly sporadic, one would run great the next three would suck. I know a former Sig armorer who at one time owned 12+ Sigs. He now owns 3, two older W. German Sigs and one US made one which has around 10,000 trouble free rounds through it. All his other ones due to QC issues, were not reliable enough for him and went away, even sometimes after being worked on by himself (trained by SIG at an armorer's school with many years experience) and SIG themselves.

The only two Sigs I actually like are the P228/229 and the P239. The P230 is big for a .380 but they're also nice shooters.

#14 ·
It's not a money thing. The model 19 isn't a safe queen but could be. It is a pimp gun for sure. I've just never had a sig handgun and the trade was proposed to me. Didn't know so that's why I asked. Thanks for the responses. I'll keep the 19.

I could just buy the sig from the guy. What would be a good price? It does come with 5 mags. And what in y'all's opinion is the major differences between a German and American sig?
I'd offer him $400 to start with. You can buy a new P220R for $799, so keep that in mind. Sig mags aren't cheap so having 5 of them helps alot.

Look at the rails before you do anything. If he ran it dry and shot more than a few hundred rounds they are likely damaged. The rails should be black all the way through. Any dull grey color in the rails pass on it.

#15 ·

German Sigs work. The finish often wasn't the greatest but the guns ran like a fat guy being chased by a pack of starving cannibals and established Sig's reputation.

The earlier US guns worked fine. Around when they went to the new-finish-every-2-days approach Sig quality control became highly sporadic, one would run great the next three would suck. I know a former Sig armorer who at one time owned 12+ Sigs. He now owns 3, two older W. German Sigs and one US made one which has around 10,000 trouble free rounds through it. All his other ones due to QC issues, were not reliable enough for him and went away, even sometimes after being worked on by himself (trained by SIG at an armorer's school with many years experience) and SIG themselves.

The only two Sigs I actually like are the P228/229 and the P239. The P230 is big for a .380 but they're also nice shooters.

How about the P225, Murphy?

Its one of my favorites...

#19 ·
Haven't shot a 225 and they're long out of production. The P239 is it's replacement, so they fall in the same category.

#20 ·
I buy alot of guns. Just a good habit I guess (according to me). I don't mind swapping something I'm not attached to or fond of. Nothing wrong with the smith there's just nothing particular about this 19 that makes me want to keep it. I'd rather have a good auto than the revolver but I'm not gonna go down in trading the smith. I haven't looked closely at the rails on the sig but thanks for the tip. Like I said I know nothing about sigs. I just rather have a 1911 in my hands than anything else.

#21 ·
Contrary to the errornet experts the 220 was made in the states for over 12 years before any QC issues started showing up. When you hear some twit saying only German made Sigs are worth owning it only shows they don't know what the hell they are talking about. :upeyes:

In fact, most that really know Sigs will tell you some of the best 220s made came out of the mid 90's. A large percentage of them were made in NH. The folded sheet steel slides, except for some newer 228s, ALL say "Made in Germany" or W. Germany. That only means the slide was made in Germany. Sig produced pistols in the states for years with a mix of parts made here and over there.

#22 ·
I also would keep the Model 19.

#24 · (Edited)

you think you know SIG?.........how about we not bash a company you know absolutely nothing about.

ill leave it at that

#25 ·
Considering these were firsthand reports from a Sig armorer who's worked on more Sigs than I've ever shot, and this was confirmed by a Sig employee?

Yeah, I'd say I have a clue. Personally, not a huge Sig fan, but if it's one made prior to about 2006/2007 I'd buy one with full confidence. Anything newer than that I'd strip down, check out and shoot the hell out of it before I trusted it.

You may be talking about your own one perfect gun. I'm talking about guys who've handled and worked on hundreds. Big difference. Just like ARs, and 1911s......

#26 ·
Not a big revolver fan, so I'd take the P220.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.