Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Need some opinions on a 45

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by CATATOMIC, May 19, 2012.

Apr 5, 2003
    First of all I'm a 22 year veteran in law enforcement and prior to that I served in the U.S. Army. I'm pretty up to speed on firearms especially Glocks. I'm a certified Glock Armorer also. I just want some opinions. I mainly carry 40's right now because that's what I'm issued and have a 9mm and 357 Glock. I owned a G21 several years ago and like an idiot I sold it. I want to buy another 45 and I'm torn between another G21 and a Springfield 1911 Range Officer. The only experience I've had with 1911's was in the military where I carried a Colt 1911 and loved it. I've shot 1911's that belonged to others before but have never owned one. I love the feel of the 1911 and I held a Range Officer the other day and just really liked the feel of it and the smooth trigger. I'm kind of torn. Any advice?
  2. Well I say go with the 1911 because you've handled Glocks on a day to day basis, why not have a nice 1911 that you can have some "fun" time and not feel like your just going through the motions with another glock :) plus you handled the one you wanna get and liked it :)

3. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    You already have 2 Glocks, no reason to get a third. Get the 1911.
  4. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Go for the Range Officer.
  5. SiberianErik

Feb 9, 2009
    This, I shot Glocks in 40 for years. On a lark I traded a G27 + $$ for a Springer 1911 and never looked back.
    Last edited: May 19, 2012

Apr 5, 2003
    I think I want the 1911. I've never owned one and like someone said I own several Glocks. Think it's time to make a change and get something different. I'm about Glocked out. I carry Glocks everyday both on and off duty plus I work on Glocks all the time.
  7. Please see my reply in General Glocking. Good luck with your decision. 1911s are :cool:
  8. See we just helped you with a nice nudge in the right direction, which you seemed yourself was going to make the same decision anyways :)

Apr 5, 2003
    Yeah I had pretty much made my mind up I just wanted some thoughts from some 1911 folks. The best feeling handguns I've ever held were the 1911's and a Sig P220. Something about a single stack 45. It just doesn't feel any better.
  10. Ford302Glock21

Ford302Glock21 Chrome Horsie

Dec 3, 2004
    Orlando FL
    Why can't you have both? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if you are talking self defense I have less trust in a 1911's ability to reliably feed jhps. In my opinion it was designed for ball and I carried my springer with what I thought was closest to ball: remington golden saber. I also had an s&w 1911 which ran perfect with ball but its not cheap to practice with your carry ammo to find out how reliable it is.

Capacity is also lower but not a big deal. For carry its condition one which is one extra step to be performed under stress. 1911 is great and at 100 years old is still a very acceptable platform. I say get both. I have a new gen 4 21 that is a pleasure to shoot and has lots of good reviews from others. Only downside to me is its still too big for my hand to be ideal. My gen 4 19 fits much better.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  11. I am a fan of both. In your case, I would go with the G21. Just not a big fan of universally fitted 1911s. The RO is just a glorified mil spec with the same slap on parts. I'm a perfectionista and the looks of a $900 1911 with the extractor sticking out past the slide gives me the hibby jibbies. Flame suit on :couch:

Production guns: Glock > 1911
    Semi-custom/custom: different world

Front strap treatment: standard on Glocks
    Front strap treatment on 1911: none below 1k price range
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  12. GLOCK17DB9

Dec 30, 2011
    Troy, MI
    I love Glocks but you have to go with your feelings and that says 1911. Good luck and enjoy!:supergrin:

Apr 5, 2003
    I love Glocks too. I just want something different. If not a 1911 then I would lean toward a Sig P220. I just want a change. I'm not getting rid of my Glocks by any means just to add something different.
  14. Well according to your first post you are torn between a Glock 21 and 1911. I guess you already made up your mind that you do not want the Glock. Take a look at the HK45 :cool:
  15. LOL Dak I see what you did there :)
  16. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Go with the 1911, but be fore warned, won't be your last. :cool:
  17. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    The Range Officer would be a good way to go for a 1911 or even a Mil-Spec. Springfield makes some pretty decent 1911's that'll give you a lot of bang for your buck. Since you mentioned the G21 may I suggest you check out Springfield's XD or XDm in 45acp. I recently picked up an XD45 and I'm very pleased with the gun. 13+1 rounds, mags are on sale right now for Father's Day for $21 bucks(can't beat that deal for a 13 round, stainless mag) and I personally think the XD has it going on all over the Glock. The XD has a steel trigger, sights, and guide rod instead of plastic like the Glock. It has an ambi mag release, loaded chamber indicator(I know, the extractor on the Glock also acts as a loaded chamber indicator but it's not as easy to check as the one on the XD) cocking indicator pin and has that nice 1911 grip angle so it fits my hand a bit better then the Glocks I've owned.
    I think as long as you stick with 45acp you can't go much wrong but that XD is a pretty nice gun for the money.
    Springfield Armory Mil-Spec or XD45 would be the two I'd be looking at if I were in your shoes. JMHO, YMMV.
  18. WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    If the gun is just for fun, definitely get the 1911.
  19. Urban_Redneck

Mar 27, 2012
    I bought a Range Officer in March, I will say it is no "slapped together" 1911. I really could have used a bushing wrench the first half dozen times I field stripped it.

I did have to increase the extractor tension, a small punch and 5 minutes was all it took :yawn: Zero malfs in last 400 rounds. I'll put another 100 through it this week.
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  20. Deriffe

Dec 8, 2011
    St Louis
    If you just want to own a 1911 and don't intend to carry it concealed most of the time, The Springfield is a great gun. I love mine. I only carry it in the winter. I've got an STI 1911 Guardian that would be closer to a Commander's size. It's a lot easier to conceal. Just my opinion.