close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

need some help with .40 loads

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by owtlaw, Apr 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. owtlaw

owtlaw

Dec 4, 2007
    I am starting to reload. 40 and am having some trouble finding a load. I will be using some hardcast 155grn swc. They are sized at .402. I am planning to use wsf and I can not find a load for cast that is sized at .402. I have the" one book one caliber" manual. It has the 155 jacketed starting at 6.7 and going to 7.5. I am planning to start at 6.0 to accomodate for the larger diameter cast slugs. Anyone have any experience with this load and these type of slugs?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  2. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    Yes and none of it good. SWC suck in glocks. 155 are light.
    I had feeding issues with lead SWC.

3. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    I'm not sure what "book" you are referring to. Hodgdon's site shows 6.2 - 6.8gr for the 155gr XTP bullet at a COL of 1.125. Cast bullets always run with less powder, and 6.0 might be a rather warm charge.

I would suggest you perform a search on this forum, "40 reloads WSF", and see what comes up. WSF is a favorite of Fred 's and I'm sure he has answered this question numerous times on the forum.

BTW, normal cast for the 40S&W would be .401. The extra .001 shouldl not present a problem. Good to see that you are keeping that in mind.

4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Lead bullets load w/ smaller charge wts than jacketed, so a jacketd starting load should work w/ a lead bullet of the same wt. You can alwyas use heavier bullet data for lighter bullets though. There just isn't a lot of lead bullet data out for the 40. I happily run 6gr under a 170gr-175grLFP for just over 1000fps, shoots sub 2" groups @ 15yds from my very finciky 4006. I consider this a full power load though.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  5. 170 grain swc's run great in my G22. Not one problem in many many rounds.

I use Unique in these loads. It burns pretty clean with these loads.

All the Best,
    D. White