close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some geometry help

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by spotco2, Nov 28, 2012.

1. spotco2

spotco2

Trying to figure the acreage and square feet of a piece of property that is odd shaped.

Any math whiz's on here tonight?

[​IMG]

2. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Slice it into triangles and find the area of each triangle, then add the areas together.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

3. fgutie35

fgutie35

Find the perimeter first by adding all sides. Then divide it by 4 to give you a square chunk of land which now you can find the area by multiplying L x L= Asq. So your perimeter will be 863ft. Divide by 4 to get 215.75ft. Multiply it by itself to get 46,548.1sq ft. I think. There is 43,560sq ft in an acre, so that land you showed is a little bit over an acre.

4. devildog2067

devildog2067

This will not work. If I draw a strip of land that's 2 miles long and 1 inch wide, this method will (wrongly) estimate the area to be ~1 square mile.

For the area shown, the right way to do it is with the Law of Cosines. Hang on, I'll crank through it.

EDITED TO ADD: To actually solve it rigorously will take a while, because actually you need to write a system of equations for all of the unknown angles as well. I'm going to eyeball one of the angles and just do it that way, since the measurements probably aren't accurate down to the inch anyway.

5. 17119jfkioe

17119jfkioe

You are a badass DD:cool::wavey:

6. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

That is not a valid method. You cannot calculate the area of a random shape from its perimeter.

Example: a 3x3 square and a 2x4 rectangle have the same perimeter but different area.

7. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Geometry never was my strong suit, but something tells me that there's not enough data to find the area. We need to know at least 2 angles, or 2 more measurements.

8. devildog2067

devildog2067

[​IMG]

I arbitrarily split it into 3 triangles and labeled the sides. Unknown sides labeled in red, unknown angles labeled in green.

Angle 1 is ~100 degrees if I hold a protractor up to the screen. With the two sides (113' and 60') and an estimate of angle 1, we can solve for the area of the bottom triangle:

[​IMG]

We can also use the Law of Cosines to get side B:

[​IMG]

You crank through the same deal by estimating the magnitude of angle 6 (~105 degrees) and angle 9 (~100 degrees) and you get the area of the other two triangles (18980 and 12880) for an approx. area of 35,200 square feet or ~0.8 acres.

Feel free to check my math, I did it using the crappy MS calculator app, but the principle is correct.

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

That's exactly right. I "measured" some of the angles with a protractor; without that information the area can't be found.

10. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Cheater. :shakehead:

11. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

There is enough information on there to find the angles without having to measure them. Give me a second and I'll double check what you have going on there. What you've done looks right though, I just wouldn't trust a protractor as a good measurement off this picture alone.

12. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

No, there is not. Without constraints such as 2 known angles or 2 known diagonals, the 5 sides can form an infinite number of different figures, each having a different area.

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

Yep. CitizenOfDreams is right.

Imagine if you took 5 strips of wood, the lengths of the 5 measured sides, and joined them at the ends with swivels. You could squish it into an infinite number of shapes.

14. spotco2

spotco2

I think you're correct sir and might I say that you did it in a much fancier fashion than I.

I used a pencil, ruler and a business card and came up with .8 acres also. I just wanted someone to check my math before I make an offer on this tomorrow morning.

Thanks again.

15. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

But wouldn't it be possible to get the tangent of a few of the angles and go from there?

For instance, using DD's picture, angle 2 would be:

arctan(60/113)

Hypotenuse of B would be 128.

16. kateean2

kateean2

Find the perimeter first by adding all sides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

No right angles. That's what got me too. There is a way to solve this without measuring the angles. I'll work on it tomorrow. Maybe I'm wrong.

18. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Ah, forgot about them needing to be right angles. Nevermind.

19. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

No, because the perimeter of a shape does not determine it's volume. All we really know is the perimeter. I can draw a bunch of shapes (even concave) with the sides having those measurements.

20. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Easiest way IMO is to get an engineering student to import the image into Autocad and to trace the outlines on the image and then scale to correct size. Autocad will give you the area of the scaled shape.