Glock Talk banner

Need Some Advice

784 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  g_man500a 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I need a little bit of advice. I have become so out of shape that I can't stand it anymore. I'm ready to do something about it and I just need to know what the best thing for me to do is.

A little bit of background. I've always been heavy for most of my life, but I actually got down to a pretty good weight a couple of years ago but I realize now that I did it in a really bad way. I starved myself for a little over a year and a half(not really intentionally...but I just really didn't eat much at all). I lost about 120lbs within that year and a half and was actually somewhat happy with my weight. Being that lower weight allowed me to wear clothes that I liked and actually look decent in them, it allowed me to get into skydiving for a little while, and I just felt better about myself. I also smoked a lot during this time, so that helped supress my appetite and made it easier. Now, with how heavy I am these days I try to hide behind bulky clothing to hide my man-boobs and gut, and I just can't stand it anymore.

Anyways, I met my girlfriend and we started going out to eat alot, and then I quit smoking and good lord the weight came back in a hurry, and then some. I've heard that when you starve yourself like that, it royally screws your metabolism and that is partly the reason why the weight came back the way it did.

I'm 6'3" and I'm at a very bad weight right now. I'm embarassed to even say what it is, but I'll just say that I'm a fatass. I need to do something about this, and any help that you guys have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

What is the best thing that I can do that will shed this weight the fastest way possible? I've been getting so distraught about my weight that I've considered the starvation route again..but I really don't want to do that..there has to be a better way that won't make me gain weight like crazy when I start eating normally again.

See less See more
#2 ·
1) Start walking. Consider walking two or three times a day. This is good for cardio. Work your way into some light jogging. Once you are getting your legs under you, work on some sprints.

2) Eliminate ALL sodas. Including and especially diet sodas. Boatload of chemicals and sodium.

3) Eliminate startchy carbs such as rice, potatoes, chips, pizza, pasta, etc.

4) Eliminate fried foods.

5) Eat more protein, such as steaks.

6) Eat more vegetables and fruits.

7) Begin to lift weights and do pushups, situps, jumping jacks and so on.

8) Set goals. Figure out where you want to get to, and strive towards it. Take a "long term" approach. You'll have times where you are doing well and times where it is tough sledding. Don't get too up when it's going well, and don't get too down when it's tough.

9) Enjoy the journey. Once you've set your goals, view getting there as you might a cross country drive. First get on the road, then to the next town, and the next, etc.

Good luck to you.

#3 ·
A lot of what Matt said is good, but take it slow on the walking and running. What I mean is start out being conservative but be consistent. If you hit it too hard you will get too sore and quit. I don't know how big you are but I suggest staying with low impact exercises at first like easy walking and swimming. If you are going to start running I suggest going to a running specialty store and getting shoes there. The better stores have treadmills and video cameras where they can determine what kind of shoe is best for you so you don't get injured. Remember to schedule some rest days in your fitness plan so your body has a chance to recover. Think of this as a life plan and not a short term goal.
Good Luck! You can do it!

#4 ·
I agree with both the previous replies.

I recommend you count calories. My wife and I both recently lost about 30 lbs in 4 months. The key for us was to count calories. I estimated my number of calories per day required to maintain bodyweight by using several of the BMR calculators online. Then I knocked 400+/- calories off of that per day. A 400-500 calorie deficit won't make you feel like you're gonna die and you'll still drop fat. Counting calories is key because it's unbelievably easy to think you're eating a reasonable diet and be very far over on your calories for the day.

It's also nowhere near as painful as it sounds--my wife keeps a scrap sheet of paper in the kitchen and just writes on there how much she eats at each meal. In a very short period of time, she knew from memory the number of calories in almost all the foods we buy. I take a much more detailed approach, counting protein, fat, carbs, and calories, but I don't think this is necessary.

I'm completely convinced that this is the fastest way to get where you want to go. Exercise is fine and a good 2nd-fiddle to diet. As you progress, you'll inevitably hit some plateaus. I found exercise to be great for smashing these. Weightlifting is great, but your weight loss due to weightlifting will be extremely slow. Same goes for cardio, but not quite as bad. Did I mention that diet is almost everything for your stated goal?

DBD

#5 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice. I've oficially started my plan as of 2 days ago, and I'm hoping that it works out well.

I had a long talk yesterday with one of the guys here at work that has lost a huge amount of weight over the past couple of years, and he gave me some pointers that I will intigrate into the ideas that you all have given me. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.