close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need sight suggestions for a 17L

Discussion in 'Long Slide Forum' started by LarryNC, Feb 20, 2011.

1. LarryNC

LarryNC Millennium Member

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
    Howdy Folks,

I have a 17L that I have owned for years now. I really love this pistol. It must be some kind of magic, but this pistol actually makes me look like I'm a good pistol shot. The only thing that I have ever wanted to change on this gun are the standard Glock sights. I was just wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions. I have standard Trijicon sights on my model 17 and I have been very happy with them. I just wondered if fixed or adjustable sights would be best for this factory target pistol.

One more question. Do any of you ever carry your long slide models concealed and if you do, how do you do it?

Thanks guys. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. RSki

RSki

Apr 8, 2010
    Minnesota
    Well I have one of these https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1710000-1093363057

mated with one of these https://www.dawsonprecision.com/Cat...ights:Glock+Fiber+Optic+Inserted+Front+Sights

It's what I like and for me is much better than the factory setup.

3. LarryNC

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
  4. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Jan 19, 2004
    Louisville Kentucky
    The Dawson I received hangs out into the slide cut out but gives a great sight picture.
    I haven't shot with it on there YET!!
    Here's what it looks like installed on a 17L..

[​IMG]

5. LarryNC

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
    Thank you. That should be very visible, even in very low-light.

6. Mr V

Mr V

Jun 14, 2006
    Spokane, Wa
    I have carried my 24c (same lenght as 17L) concealed. Winter is eastern Washington state is heavy jacket weather, so I wear a long parka, and just use the standard plastic Glock holster.
    Understand that is NOT my daily wear, usually its a G36, which is my all year round carry gun.
    Remember its not really slide lenght that is the "hiding" issue as much as the butt of the gun( A G19 will conceal easier than a G17).

I have Bomar adjustable sights from Custom Glock Racing on my 17L.

7. RSki

RSki

Apr 8, 2010
    Minnesota
    The one I have does not do that. The front of the slide cut on mine measures approximately 5/8ths of an inch and the sight base is slightly less than that..

8. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Jan 19, 2004
    Louisville Kentucky
    I'd love to see it & know what part number you ordered..
    I picked mine up second hand here at the forum for a $20 spot..
    I also have a Hi-Viz & it's even longer..

Just something to think about were the G17L/G24/G34/G35 are different..

9. LarryNC

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
    Those are some really good points. I have never been to your state, but I have heard how beautiful it is there. When I was a boy, my uncle, Don used to tell me stories about fishing in the mountains of Washington State for steel-head trout.

10. __jb

__jb

Aug 8, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
  11. RSki

RSki

Apr 8, 2010
    Minnesota
    See the link in post #2 above to Dawson Precision...

12. LarryNC

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
    I finally got around to getting some new sights for my 17L. I decided to go with the standard Trijicon sights so that it would have the same sight picture as my 17 and 19. I figured I needed to make it the same across the board... same grips, same triggers, same calibers and same sights. I realize that this wasn't best for a target pistol, but I didn't buy this gun as a target pistol anyway. I wanted a 17 shot and a 33 shot 9mm that shoots +P+ ammo that comes close to .357 territory when it comes to velocity and I have read where 115 grain Cor-Bon ammo averaged something like 1502 fps out of the Long-slide Glock. I don't know what velocity I'll get with my Winchester Ranger Ammo in 127 grain weight, but I am sure that it is plenty. Thank you all for your suggestions. If it turns out to be a bad idea I can always change the sights. I have a rear sight installation tool and I have changed the sights on at least a half a dozen Glocks over the years and this 17L was the tightest fit that I ever experienced. I don't think that the newer guns have the same size rear sight cut that my older (2nd Gen) 17L has. I almost couldn't get them on?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011