close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need recommendation for a good juicer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GreenDrake, Jan 18, 2012.

1. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Thinking of picking up a nice juicer to make my own veggie and fruit juices...can anyone recommend a decent one to start off with?

2. 22rtf2

22rtf2 Peaceful

The Jack la Lane juicer is the best one. Available at JC Penney.

I've had a few, it's far beyond the others.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Just1More

Just1More

Get a Vitamix 5200. They're a little expensive ($400), but worth every penny. No pulp waste, easy clean-up, and VERY powerful. I made this juice in about 30 seconds. My wife drinks something like this every morning. :supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. FPS

FPS

I use the Omega VRT330 and I highly recommend it.

dont get one of those high speed blender type juicers. Do some research.

5. Just1More

Just1More

Most of them aren't powerful enough....the Vitamix 5200 is. A quick research will tell you this. A typical juicer, like you use, wastes all the pulp....then you have to clean screens and small crevices. Versus a quick rinse with the Vitamix. The harder it is to use/clean, the less likely it'll get used.

6. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

I will second the Omega. I've had one for about a dozen years. They last forever.
    Low speed is the way to go, it will also make nut butters, etc.

7. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

It does separate the pulp. You can certainly add it to the juice, should you so desire. The Omega does not lack power. I've not once had mine even sound as though it was struggling.

8. BIGGUNS911

BIGGUNS911

+1 on the Jack La lane. Great unit clean is not bad but more than some.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

There is but only one thing to say about juicers:

His name was Robert Paulson.

:rofl:

10. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Thanks guys, this gives me a lot to look at. Much appreciated.

11. Glock13

Glock13

We've got a Breville that seems to work pretty well.

12. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Look for wide mouth models.

13. silentpoet

silentpoet

14. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

I use an Omega 8006. Picked it up from Discountjuicers.com The guy has a ton of videos on youtube explaining all the differences. They're worth watching. I prefer the low speed because I think you get less foam and, as I understand it, they are usually easier to clean (which makes the process more pleasant which means you'll be more likely to want to do it). Also, if you want to do leafy greens like spinach or wheatgrass the lower speed ones will get more juice out of them. Plus they don't sound like a jet turbine in your kitchen which might be annoying in the morning.

Blending (and blenders like that excellent Vitamix) are better for fruit because you keep all the pulp in the mix. Your body needs that fiber - especially because it helps slow down the absorption of all the sugars. Otherwise it is essentially "all natural" liquid candy and you'll probably notice a crash a little while after having a juice.

15. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

I've had my Juiceman juicer for years and years. It still works great when I get the motivation to juice. No question that it's good for you but it takes a lot of effort to always have freash fruits and veggies on hand.

16. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

OK just an update. I got the Jack LaLanne Juicer Pro at Costco for $89...and I am a very happy juicer. I haven't even tried any of the recipes that came with the book in the box because I am totally pleased with just pawing through our veggie drawer and dumping everything in there. This morning I tossed in half a cuccumber, a zucchini, yellow pepper, green apple, parsley, baby romaine, an orange, mandarine and a couple handfuls of baby carrots. Delicious. I do keep a fork handy to give it a stir because it does separate quickly in the glass.

What a great device to have on hand, can't complain at all. Easy to clean, if you get after it right when you are done, it brushes off and rinses with no problem whatsoever. Feel a good deal of energy from it too.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Question: Why not just eat the danged food?????

18. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Valid question, I guess because of the simplicity of adding everything together in the morning, I am not sure raw beets or kael are too tasty in their raw state. I like the taste of everything together, quick easy, delicious and efficient.

19. Homechicken

Homechicken

Don't waste your money on the Jack la Lane juicer. My wife had one for a couple of years and it was slow and clogged easily and was more aggravation than it was worth. I was so sick of hearing her ***** and moan and yell every time she juiced I could have thrown the thing out the front door and smashed it on the driveway. She was finally told about Champion juicers and decided to try one of those. When she started researching them she found out they're around $250 and was about to give up when her sister told her to look on Ebay as old ones come up on there now and then. She found one on Ebay for $60 that was described as complete and working well. When it arrived it was missing a couple of parts and was unusable and the seller was uncooperative, so she did some checking and found out the design hasn't changed in many years and that current parts will fit the old juicers, so she ordered the parts she needed for about $10 and that was that. For $70 she got a juicer that new would have been a couple of hundred dollars. Its old and looks like it could have been my grandmother's. The white paint is dingy and yellowed from age, but it works great and they apparently are built well and last forever. There are two big pluses. Its fast, it'll juice just about as fast as she can cram stuff down the shoot, a big difference from her previous juicers, and it comes apart very easily with no tools and cleans up in a snap.

As a bonus, my wife freezes the pulp and adds it to soups and stews and homemade hamburger helper type dishes, etc. Sometimes she'll just saute the pulp in a pan and eat it for lunch.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  20. Homechicken

Homechicken

You get all the nutrients from the food, but its in a liquid form so its easier for the body to process. You don't burn as many calories or use as many nutrients processing the juice as you would the whole food.