Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Need opinion for pistol caliber carbine

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RYT 2BER, May 14, 2011.

1. For some reason I have gotten it in my head that I want to own a PCC....

I'm leaning towards the cx4 storm "although" the cost is horrifying ...

My question though... which caliber would better take advantage of the barrel length? 9mm or. 40?? (Not interested in .45 caliber in a pcc)

I stock both and I understand 9mm is cheaper to use but I want to get the most out of it...

Thoughts? (For the record I have rifles and this isn't in lieu of a rifle caliber for me )
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. failsafe

Oct 25, 2003
    Well, I have a Uzi 9mm IMI Carbine and a KelTec sub 2k ,40 cal, glock mag compatible..
    Couldn't break the "cherry" on the Uzi, it's a safe queen....I own 3 Glocks that the 40 cal mag's would work in as well as the 2k...No brainer for me..
    Ballistic's to compare? The 40 cal sub 2k, seems to do everything for me out to 100 yards or so...

Aug 22, 2009
    I have a Kel Tec Sub2k also. The loads pick up about 150f.p.s.-200f.p.s. out of the longer barrel. Mine uses the G17 mags and I am very happy with it's accuracy and reliability. Don't really know what kind of a boost it would give the .40.
  4. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Feb 29, 2008
    The KelTec sub2k is a great little gun, small, lightweight and it just runs and runs. Get one that uses glock mags
  5. AngryPanda

AngryPanda Is he a troll?

Sep 25, 2009
    Another vote for the Kel-tec Sub 2K. Awesome gun for a great price, you won't be dissapointed.
  6. Hmmm alot of KT sub love here... I have a pf9 and a plr16 so I'm not adverse to KT products at all... not sure that i love the looks of the sub but maybe for a few hundred dollars and that it uses the same block mags may be a bonus?
  7. mdfd

Sep 29, 2006
    I guess the OP is asking which caliber 9mm or 40cal for his PCC....I have an S2k in 9mm but only b/c I wanted to share mags w/ my G26 as a system as I do not own 40cal.
    If I owned a 40cal that can share mages with the PCC, I'd have no hesitation doing so as the carbine would handle the 40cal even better....
    Since I've been considering a carbine to compliment my 45cal pistols, I'm kinda curious why you would avoid a carbine in 45cal?

Here's only a few of the things you can do to an S2k:
  8. I've been really please with my MSAR MCS 9mm--shoots well, great balance,and just gobbles up the rounds out of those 33 round Glock mags. With the Aimpoint on it, dead nuts accurate out to 75 yards. Best 800 dollars I ever spent.
  9. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd suggest an AR build in 9mm, but if $650 for a CX4 is "horrifying", then nevermind....
  10. Jack Black

Jack Black

Dec 19, 2000
    Vegas Baby!
  11. Reasonable question..

Really 2 reasons... first off, I can dump alot of ammo in a carbine really quickly, and the cost of .45 is just unappealing to me in a firearm like this..

Secondly, it is my belief (again just my belief) that big, heavy and slow, like a .45 is just counterproductive in a long barrel gun (long vs a handgun) .. I believe speed is valuable in long distance accuracy... 9mm and 40 are both high pressure hi velocity rounds hence I'm stuck choosing between the two..

I'm leaning towards the 9mm due to cost but since 40 and 9 are similar in cost I'd rather make the best overall choice...
  12. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Out of a Sub 2000 you are pretty much going to get a boost of 200 fps with a longer barrel with .40 or 9mm. That boosts them to .357 Sig and 10mm velocity. There is evidence to suggest the .40 bullet will be better because 9mm bullets tend to come apart at that speed when it hits something, even bonded bullets. On the other hand those 33 round 9mm magazines and a Sub 2000 do seem to go together like peanut butter and chocolate.
  13. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
  14. Jack Black

Jack Black

Dec 19, 2000
    Vegas Baby!
    To my knowledge, in the past Glock reps have not confirmed on video that it exists.
  15. I'm even thinking of selling my plr16 to fund it?

I never shoot it and its my only gun in223 so I figure maybe I should dump the caliber?

Although im getting off topic.... only one post about the caliber really and it sound like 40 may be the winner?
  16. The horryfying part is because it's pcc... if I'm buying an AR I'm getting it in a rifle caliber and that justifies the extra cost.

No PC AR's for me
  17. RMTactical

RMTactical CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I would go with a KT Sub 2000 in 9mm and plenty of Glock 18 mags.
  18. I had a HiPoint for years. Ergos were ok, but quality of materials was dismal and the 10rd mags just took the fun out of it.

Get the KelTec as suggested, in 9mm.
  19. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    I bought an 1873 Winchester carbine in .44-40 from Cimmaron Firearms. My next firearms purchase will be a Colt Frontier Six Shooter in the same chambering.
  20. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    First, why do you want it?

I have a SBR in pistol caliber. It is great because it is light and short. Some non-SBR PCC fall into the short and light category, others don't.

If you are some place that the range requires pistol cartridges, that is one thing.

If you are looking for cheaper practice, that is another.