close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need help with wireless access point

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by darin2, Aug 11, 2004.

1. darin2

darin2

Apr 14, 2001
    Georgia
    I have an Addtron Technology wireless access point hub. It's the type that you plug your router into and it puts out a wireless signal. I am trying to use it to connect to the Internet with my wireless card. I can connect to the hub, but it doesn't appear to be going through to the Internet. I can't get online. It does the same thing with my IPAQ. I can't find any technical data on the WAP. I think the problem may be that this WAP is only to connect to a network, and not to the Internet. Anybody have any ideas?? Thanks.

Darin

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Billings, Montana
    Did you install the software that came with the WAP that allows you to configure it?

3. darin2

darin2

Apr 14, 2001
    Georgia
    Sorry...I forgot to mention that all I got was the unit...nothing else. I dont know how to configure it. Any helps appreciated.

4. darin2

darin2

Apr 14, 2001
    Georgia

WL11000SA-N

5. frefoo

frefoo

Apr 4, 2004
    Northen VA
  6. frefoo

frefoo

Apr 4, 2004
    Northen VA
    Darin2

make sure the product you have is the same as the manual (there is a pic on page 3).

That being said I think you can find the software at this site

If the looks to be correct the software is here

Hope this helps

7. darin2

darin2

Apr 14, 2001
    Georgia
    That's it. I can't tell from the manual if it will allow me to connect to the Internet. It talks about connecting to a network and email. I will continue looking through it. Thanks for the help.

Darin

8. frefoo

frefoo

Apr 4, 2004
    Northen VA
    I cant think of a reason why it would not. Your Router handles all internet requests, when you configure the device make sure the default gateway is set to your router internal IP address and you should be able to get to the net.

PS Make sure you change the SSID from the default, turn on encryption and set a passphrase. That will help (but not perfect) to protect you so your neighbors dont get in.

Dave

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    I second what FreFoo said, especially the SSD/Encryption setup.

You never know when sandboy6184 might be driving by your place!!;f ;a ;f

And although you might wind up with a Network Bridge for Internet sharing, it'll let you surf once you get 'er set up properly.

Good luck,

FastVFR

10. Halo

Halo Millennium Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    For a bit of extra security in addition to what was already mentioned, disable broadcasting of the SSID if you have that option. That way a machine can only connect to the AP if the name is manually entered.