Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Need help with what powder(s) to get

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by digbmx4130, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Ive got a 550b on the way, and everything else to get start except for powder(s).

I am going to be loading for 9mm, and .40 s&w.

Right now I have these bullets:

a box of 500- 115gr LRN 9mm from MBC
    a box of 500- 140gr TCFP .40 s&w from MBC
    a box of 100- 180gr JHP .40 s&w

Which powders do you guys recommend for these and being a newb.

Thank you in advance.
  2. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I say Unique, Power Pistol, 700x and W231 is great for the 9 and 40. My favorite for the 40 is Clays. 3.8 grns with a 155 grn boolit.

3. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    1. WSF
    2. Power Pistol
    3. win 231
  4. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

May 19, 2007
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    power pistol for 9 and .40 Longing Shot for the .40 for full power loads.
  5. You ever done any reloading before?

If you haven't and you're starting on a progressive I'd get something that would overfill the case on a double charge. Double charges of fast powders are very bad news.

All the Best,
    D. White
  6. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    Without knowing what you are going to load for it is hard to give you a great answer. But WSF and power pistol are both medium burners that take a lot of volume in the case (so a double charge will be a lot more noticeable).
    Both will span the range of powder puff to stout in your chosen calibers.
    Power pistol is louder and has more recoil.
  7. Exclr8

Jan 30, 2011
    +1 on the unique
  8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    I have had very good luck with Hodgdon's Longshot in 40 S&W. It does not do lite loads only medium to hot.
    I use it for plated, jacketed and lead for bullets from 155gr to 180gr.
  9. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    :agree: Throw in Unique & Universal, they give you the broadest, safest load range in 9mm & 40.. Newbs should really stay away from powders faster than WST IMO. Way to easy to get into trouble w/ powders that have steep pressure curves, especially in hig pressure/low volumn rounds like the 9mm & 40.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  10. FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    WSF is nice in the 40 and I have no problem with Power Pistol. I've thrown all kinds of powder in the 9. One of the more accurate for me has been AA#5 and 231 and Unique have been decent.
  11. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Unique or Universal would work nicely and are bulky enough that a double charge is normally very noticeable. WSF would work well also, but it's a bit finer powder and doesn't fill the case quite as well. On the other hand, it probably burns the cleanest of the three.

All three have similar burn rate characteristics. I have and have tried all three. Of the three, and for your application, I would probably pick good old Unique YMMV.