close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need help with magwell for a full size 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by JoleBole, Nov 12, 2012.

1. JoleBole

JoleBole Mr.Glock

Mar 14, 2009
    Illinois
    Hi guys. I need advice for adding a magwell on my 1911. I have a Ruger SR1911 which I think is same dimensions as most full size 1911's. I did some research on magwells but because I haven't added any aftermarkets parts (except sights) I don't wanna make a mistake with ordering the wrong parts.

Now, can I add just a magwell, something like this Wilson Combat - or its a better solution to go with a Mainspring Housing with Magazine Well ? Here's what I found so far...
    Option 1: Wilson Combat Speed-Chute
    Option 2: Kimber
    Option 3: Nighthawk Custom

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    I've used S&A MSH/magwells and although they are nice, I prefer the 2 piece Nighthawk Custom type. The NHC type donot need a screw, but use a spring loaded bearing between the 2 pieces and is as tight as a 1 piece when installed and I haven't had a need to modify the magwell for a tight fight. I also prefer the 25lpi checkering on the NHC as apposed to the 20lpi on the S&A.

Here's the NHC set-up on my SR1911. No fitting was needed.

[​IMG]

3. JoleBole

JoleBole Mr.Glock

Mar 14, 2009
    Illinois
    That NHC looks great on that SR1911! If you say there was no fitting req, that will save me few extra $$ on a gunsmith. On the midwayusa page the title says blue finish and on the NHC site its listed as carbon steel. I hope its the same finish color?

4. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    It's blued steel.

5. JoleBole

JoleBole Mr.Glock

Mar 14, 2009
    Illinois
    Is it similar finish to that on the original MSH on the SR1911 ?

6. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    None of the above. My vote is for the one piece round butt from NH...sans lanyard loop

7. AK74play

AK74play

Jun 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Any of these are fine peices. I have 2 of them in use now but have also used the other in the past. The Nighthawk and the Wilson are practically identical in design. I have the Wilson on my SR 1911 and my PT 1911 Taurus and the Nighthawk on 2 Kimbers. All three should fit you Ruger very nicely. I lean toward the Wilson for my taiste because it has a small allen set screw in the bottom that snugs up real tight if your frame is slightly on the short side. I think you will be very happy with any of them and they are all offered in Blue or Stainless. The flat blue matches the black finish on the SR excellent.

8. 4Rules

4Rules

Mar 11, 2012
    Option 4: Smith & Alexander
    Option 5: Heinie

Most of the above is available from Brownells, who have a 100% your-satisfaction-guaranteed-forever warranty; you can buy with confidence.

9. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I used a Dremel tool... I also cut down the ejection port on my first Government Model.

Richard

10. JoleBole

JoleBole Mr.Glock

Mar 14, 2009
    Illinois
    Thanks to your advice I got the Night Hawk Custom msh/magwell from Midway (it was on sale for $61.90). Installed in 5 min and as you said it was a perfect drop in fit on the SR1911. Thanks again! :wavey: