close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help with KKM .45 to 10mm conversion

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by whitebread, Feb 29, 2012.

1. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a KKM 10mm conversion barrel for my Glock 30. I asked Kevin at KKM what needed to be done with the extractor for this conversion, specifically asking if the 10mm extractor was an option. The response was less than helpful:

I did search extensively for an answer to my question. There is a lot of discussion on the conversion, but nothing that talks about what specific modifications are needed with the extractor. There also seems to be a lot of conflicting information that turns up in the search. People saying no mods are needed, or going as far as the barrel was designed to be used with the .45 extractor, others saying to use the 10mm extractor, and some even stating the .45 and 10mm extractors are the same exact part.

So, what is needed to make this conversion reliable. :faint:

2. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Referring to the following thread at Glock Talk in The 10 Ring forum, I suggest you send a PM to humphreys19 and ennis to update you on their recent projects and get some factual information from two different perspectives. It's possible they will respond if you post to that thread from last year.

Conversion report G30 to 10mm

humphreys19 converted his G30 with just a KKM drop-in conversion barrel and G29 mags. The stock G30 .45 extractor and stock recoil spring in the G30 slide are working for him with zero malfunctions. See his latest update in Post #35 of the thread. He found the stock G30 .45 extractor worked better than a LWD 10mm extractor.

ennis installed a 23-lb recoil spring and modified the G30 .45 extractor per KKM's instructions. The combination works perfectly for 10mm and 45ACP. He prefers to discuss the details of the extractor modification suggested by KKM in a PM only.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

3. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. Dave Nowlin

Dave Nowlin Fisher of Men

I have talked with Kevin at KKM and he told me he sends out a sheet with the barrel explaining what needs to be done to the extractor. I have already done the modification but can't really make up my mind whether I want to go the .45 Super route or 10mm. I expect I will go the Super route.

5. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

If I had known then what I know now, I'd have bought a .45 and gone with .40 Super & .45 Super conversions for wilderness backup use, and I never would have even bought my 10MM.

Yes, my G20 is also good for other conversions like .40 & 9x25 Dillon and I've played with them to great delight. But I originally wanted a gun that could switch between calibers suitable for HD/Nightstand-mode, and Out-In-The-Woods-mode. I do sort of have that switch-abilty with the G20, but I now realize that you can get a wider variety of the latest suppressors for the .45 than for the .40 caliber. (There is no AAC Ti-Rant available in .40 cal, for example, which is the caliber you have to convert a G20 to when you put a silencer on it.) And non +P .45 ammo is a very low pressure round, nowhere near supersonic, and it silences pretty well in comparison to the damage those heavy bullets can inflict. I'd really rather be using 230 grain .45 bullets than sub-sonic .40 for my HD setup. Then of course there's the fact that for the woods, .40 Super is even hotter than 10MM is, and it's a bottle necked cartridge, which I think tends to help an automatic pistol feed more reliably.