close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need help wiping a MAC hard drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jay S., May 8, 2010.

1. Jay S.

Jay S.

Sep 1, 2004
    The Deep South
    My mother in law is selling her IMAC and needs to wipe the hard drive. Problem is that she can't find the original disc. If I use the disk utility to wipe it, will it also wipe out the OS? Don't want to try and sell it without an OS. Thanks for the help!:wavey:

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Probably... can you call Apple and request a new CD? They might charge you for it. What's the age on the Mac?

IGF

3. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Dec 15, 2009
    Austin, Texas

Every Mac has the ability to securely delete documents built in. Put the documents you need to delete in the trash, then go to Finder/Secure Empty Trash. I don't remember the exact specs, but the memory sectors get overwritten several times, thus making it impossible to recuperate data.

Voila', done. You're now your mother in law hero. I have never been it, so you're way ahead.

4. Jay S.

Jay S.

Sep 1, 2004
    The Deep South
    I'll give that a shot. Thanks again!

5. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    I would go a step further and uninstall any applications she has installed and purchased a license for. Freeware like Firefox, etc can stay, but I'd get rid of any of the paid for software on it. When selling a PC, I used to wipe everything and reload it all to be sure I got all my personal info off the PC completely (including the Owner/Registration info in the control panel).

6. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Feb 15, 2002
    CA
    You're going to sadly need the Mac install disc, but I'd recommend just using software to do a wipe (maybe multi-passthrough of 1's and 0's), whatever...and then reinstalling the OS.

It'll give them a clean version of the OS and you don't have to worry about if you forgot to delete anything.