close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need help transferring files

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Idontknow, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Idontknow

Idontknow

Oct 27, 2004
    MS
    Bought a laptop, and need to get my files of my old desktop. Can somebody tell how to transfer them through my router. I really dont want to waste a bunch of time and dvds burning all of it. Oh, the desktop is running XP and the new laptop is running Vista. And I have a netgear router. Thanks for help

2. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    Set up a network in your control panel (pick a name and enable sharing). Share the folders with the stuff you want to transfer, then go to the other computer and copy the files from the shared folder. Or buy a USB memory stick and copy them by hand.

3. Idontknow

Idontknow

Oct 27, 2004
    MS
    thanks, ill give it a try now. I tried using the windows file transfer wizard, but never could get it to find the network or something

4. If that don't work, OfficeMax sells a device in it's laptop section that allows you to connect two computers together via USB and drag n drop. Or you can buy that One Click hard drive back up.