close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need help setting up a home network

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Horsky, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Horsky

Horsky Gun Nut

Feb 7, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Ok i am an idiot when it comes to sharing files between the computers. I just need to know how to do it. I have a wireless router with 2 cpus wired to it and another desktop running wireless. I want to share the printer and music files. All comps are running MS XP Home SP3. Thanks in advance.:wavey:

2. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    To make things easier you may want to (but don't have to ) make sure all of your computers have the same workgroup name and are on the same network. Here is a link that covers changing your workgroup name.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295017

Open "My Computer" OR right click on "Start" and hit explore. Now right click on any folder/drive/printer/cdrom that you want to share (preferably not your whole C: drive) and click "sharing and security". This will allow you to share things on your network. This process should be quite easy but can sometimes be frustrating depending on a few different factors. Here is a guide that can help with this process.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

And just so you know, I searched on "sharing files on a home network" and the above link was the second one Google listed.

3. Horsky

Horsky Gun Nut

Feb 7, 2005
    New Hampshire
    thanks for the help... google is my new best friend bye bye yahoo.