close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need Help selecting a new scope

Discussion in 'GATE Long-Range Shooting' started by Kahr Fan!, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Kahr Fan!

Kahr Fan!

Aug 23, 2010
    I just purchased a brand new Remington 700 in 223 sps tactical and now have to decide on optics. The guns sole purpose is to be used on groundhogs and coyotes. I live in central PA so the majority of my shots will be between 100-400 yards. I have narrowed my selection down to two choices but would be open to other options. The scopes under review are Leupolds, the first being a 6.5-20x by 50mm and sides focus adjustment and 30mm tube diameter. The second choice is a 8-25x by 50mm and a side focus and 30mm tube diameter. So the major difference between the two is the magnification range, the price difference is less than 100$ so it’s a mute point to me. So basically which one would you select and why, or would you go with another scope and why. I look forward to hearing from the experts.

2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

Aug 25, 1999
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    I would recommend the one with less magnification. Really, I wrote my best optics advice in the articles that are tacked. For prairie dog shooting, a lot of shots are taken without adjusting the elevation knob, so having a FFP reticle is helpful.