close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need help . . . RSA slipping out of place

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 2-8 Marine, Feb 1, 2013.

1. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I need information regarding a possible (?) problem I'm having with the recoil spring assembly on my new (used) Glock 33. It seems that when I takedown the gun, the RSA has slipped out of the groove in the barrel and rode up to the point that its barely in place at all. This causes a slight jamming problem removing the slide. I picked up the gun a couple days ago from a stranger on Armslist and upon looking it over it appeared in great condition and by hand, it functions very well. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet so I don't know what to expect and I certainly don't want to jam the gun or something worse. Has anyone else noted anything like this. What could be causing it and how serious is it? I have a new RSA en route and I hope that will eliminate the problem. By the way, the guy installed a new ghost trigger and a new slide takedown bar. I've done a check of the slide at a 45 degree angle and it goes back into battery ever time. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    The half-moon position is the reassembly position only. Once you place the slide back on the frame, the RSA pops into the operating position, out of the half moon. Be sure to remove the magazine and pull the trigger before removing the slide.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    Yup, perfectly normal.

Don't worry......go shoot!

4. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Thanks to both on the replies . . . Yes, I do remove the mag and pull the trigger before removing the slide. I never thought of the halfmoon position as simply for reassembly. Thanks again.

5. rl356

rl356

Aug 22, 2008
    I noticed that my brand new G20 does what you're describing. It's not very noticeable at all on any of my other glocks. The 20, however, tends to be nearly completely disconnected when I remove the slide (sometimes). Even though it seems a bit abnormal to me in comparison to my others, I believe that it's no cause for concern. There's really nowhere for it to go once it's assembled anyway.

6. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Seems to be normal. The reason I was concerned is that I've owned a G26 and G27 for a few years now and never, not once did I notice this on either gun. I'm glad to hear its okay.

7. legalsten

legalsten

Jan 7, 2012
  8. rl356

rl356

Aug 22, 2008
    Wonder why some are more prone to show this than others?