close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need help picking between two 1911's

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by mpw003, Dec 30, 2012.

1. mpw003

mpw003

Apr 21, 2011
    I am Stashing some money aside and have been considering a 1911 purchase. I have owned a handful of pistols, XD, M&P and Glocks. I always seem to go back to the glock. My experience with a 1911 is very limited. I have personally never had any issues with a 1911 but have heard all the "horror stories" about how unreliable they are and not really considered buying one until recently. I am torn between the Kimber Custom II and the SA Range Officer. If you had to pick, which one and why? I would like to get some opinions from people who do/did own either of the two. Thanks for the input.

2. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA

3. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
  4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I'd take a Colt, but between those two, I'd take the Springfield. I trust Brazilian workers more than New Yorkers.

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    :rofl:Not poking fun at you fn, but I thought that was funny. Also not trying to start an argument, just asking why you say that?

6. mpw003

mpw003

Apr 21, 2011
    Steel Head: How many rounds have you fired thru it and is it picky about the kind of ammo u put thru it?

7. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

:thumbsup:

I'd go for the Kimber too, given the choice of one or the other. But I wouldn't worry too much if I had to deal with the Springfield unit.

And even though I HATE the NY Yankees, I've bought a few Kimbers and have had nothing but good luck with them.

8. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Range officer for me. Personal preference.

9. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA
    I just started reloading so I've been able to shoot it a lot.
    Maybe 700rounds now.
    200+ win white box
    50 brass blazers
    150+ American eagle
    100 plus various HP including some+p
    And 150 various reloads.
    The only thing it balked on was some very mild and very short 185 jhp reloads.

10. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    I have had 3 1911s in my life time. An old beat up Gold Cup National Match that I sold (I know I know i was a dumb ass kid of 24 what didn't I know then!) and a Kimber series 1 and a TLE II.

I say get the Range Officer.

11. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Between those two, I'd choose the Kimber hands down. If you threw Colt into the mix, it would still be between the Kimber, and Springfield, and of course my pick would still be the Kimber. There is nothing wrong with the Springfield, I just prefer Kimber. For under $800 for an American made 1911, the Kimber Custom II gets my money every time.

12. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    There you have it. A Kimber owner recommending a Springfield. It would be my pick as well, between the two.

ETA: HAD one Kimber, Have two Springfields.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  13. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Here is the solution! Go to where they have one of each, grasp one at a time in your hand, and shake. The one that doesn't rattle, buy it. You will be happy with the Kimber!:supergrin:

14. mpw003

mpw003

Apr 21, 2011
    I reload for .40s&w and i'm sure if i step up to the major league i will start to load .45. Thanks for the info.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Because my IMBEL guns are pretty sweet (SAR-48 and GI), while something about the Kimber that really cranks me the wrong way. :dunno:

16. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    Some of the people have for recommending Kimber over Springfield are pretty funny.

Saying "buy American" on a site named after Austrian weapons is amusing. Would the same poster be against H&K, German and Swiss Sigs, Walther, FN, Berreta, Holland & Holland, and Purdey, just to name a few?

How about the "shake it and see which one rattles" post? I would think reliability and accuracy would be more important. Especially in a 1911. Kimber won't even talk to a customer for warranty repair until the gun has 500 rounds through it. Maybe that tight fitting isn't so great, if the gun won't shoot reliably out of the box.

And speaking of warranty, Kimber's service and warranty is light years behind Springfield.

17. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    The only thing that would make the Kimber recommenders funnier is if one of their usernames was KimberTGO! LOL

As far as Kimber warranty, and service, after owning six, never needed to use either. So I can't say if they are light years behind. Of course never used Springfields either. They both seem to be good quality.

To the original poster. Not sure of the pricing of the two, that you are considering, in your area, but around here, the RO, is $200 more than the Custom II. For me it's a no brainer. Even if they were priced the same. But, they are not! Heck you could even step up to the Kimber Target, and still be a hundred bucks cheaper. Or, you could get the Stainless Target II, and be priced identical.

18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I'd take a Springfield over an -II generation Kimber.

Kimbers used to be excellent, the II series guns have more QC issues. Enough so some well known 1911smiths won't touch Kimbers (or Para-Ordnances, having the same issue) by choice, in a few cases, at all.

I'd take a Colt over either. Other alternatives are Ruger, Dan Wesson and Remington in the new and not terribly screwed up category.

19. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I like the Custom II, but would probably opt for the RO if push came to shove. Its the one without a stupid firing pin safety, for starters.