close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need Help From Any Mechanics Here...

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by Co_Outdoorsman, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Sempre Paratus

Aug 27, 2005
    High Country Colorado
    I was driving a F550 Thursday and lost the rear outside duals... I mean they left the truck and took off into the ditch... Truck is equipped with tool boxes and a crane rated at 6000lbs... Crane and boxes are on the effected side...

All of the lug nuts looked sheared and I had done my pretrip inspection only a few hours earlier...

Truck has 84000+ miles and as far as I know the lugs are original to the truck... I spend 90% of my time on dirt roads and live in the mountains so a straight drive is uncommon...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

2. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    I'm unclear on what you're asking advice on?

I'd replace all the lugs on the truck ASAP if it were me, and make sure they are set to factory tq. specs...

3. Co_Outdoorsman

Aug 27, 2005
    High Country Colorado
    Guess I was asking what could have been the cause of all the bolts shearing at the same time causing a real western ride for a few hundred feet...

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    under torqued, or left UN torqued, and vibration on 'boneshaker' roads will back em off, but sheared? something locked it.

how it happened, i dunno, but i'd look VERY HARD with my OWN EYEBALLS at the rear wheel bearing(s) and races.

believe that'd make sense.

5. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

Feb 9, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    I kinda like this one. Keep in mind "not torqued to spec" can also mean over-torqued.

:cool:

6. Co_Outdoorsman

Aug 27, 2005
    High Country Colorado
    Looks like over torqued is going to be the cause... The nuts have spiral fractures... Thanks for the feedback!

7. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Nov 25, 2001
    I like annoying people.
    I have seen overloading a problem also.

Ford runs those damn lugnuts with washers;Q