Glock Talk banner

Need help - cheap 9mm - friend was raped

20K views 186 replies 105 participants last post by  MinnesnowtaWild 
#1 ·
My fiance's friend from work has an abusive ex that's been stalking/harrassing her for months. Yesterday he came to her house, and beat her senseless, raped her, and threatened to kill her. The police arrested him and he is currently locked up, but no telling when/how quickly he will get out.

She's been asking us to take her to the range and teach her about guns and how to shoot - she knows absolutely nothing about firearms, but after speaking to her, she has made up her mind to carry and take this seriously. I'm taking her tomorrow first thing - but she needs to get a handgun. Her main problem is money - I told her the best bet would to be to pawn whatever she can, and get a new/used glock26 - I have a feeling she won't be able to get the money required to afford a glock.

My question is: What are a few affordable but RELIABLE pistols, that are smaller or around the size of a g26 - 9mm is preferred but 380 is as low as I think she should go. Her ex is 300+lb's, I'm concerned about a 380's ability to penetrate reliably.

Any suggestions?

#27 ·
If it were my friend, she could have any d@%^ gun she showed she could handle. If I did not have one to hand to her we would pay for it together.

Check the pawn shops in your area. Maybe ask shooters you know if there is a good shop. Some pawn shops are horrible about guns, but others can have real deals. They usually negotiate.

#28 ·
First question, will she be able to actually pull the trigger when the time comes? Unless she can develop the proper attitude that will let her pull the trigger a gun would be pretty much useless to her and may actually just be taken away from her and used against her.

Second question, if she's just learning do you really think a semi-auto would be the best choice for a 1st defensive handgun? I personally think a revolver would be a better choice because it has a simpler manual of arms and it's easier to tell if it's loaded or unloaded, just open the cylinder and you instantly know.

I know for those of us who've been around firearms for most of our life and who've hunted and can adopt a "killer instinct" in times of danger that the first thing we think of in a situation like this is a gun but I think that maybe you need to investigate other options first.
A high voltage stun gun may be a better option if she can keep it hidden until she can bring it into action. At which point she can zap the holy crap out of him then if she's in the mood while he's down she can do a little batting practice with a ball bat on the top of his head.

Either way I'd really think this over before you just shove a gun into her hand and expect her to shoot someone in a high stress situation.

#29 ·
My fiance's friend from work has an abusive ex that's been stalking/harrassing her for months. Yesterday he came to her house, and beat her senseless, raped her, and threatened to kill her. The police arrested him and he is currently locked up, but no telling when/how quickly he will get out.

She's been asking us to take her to the range and teach her about guns and how to shoot - she knows absolutely nothing about firearms, but after speaking to her, she has made up her mind to carry and take this seriously. I'm taking her tomorrow first thing - but she needs to get a handgun. Her main problem is money - I told her the best bet would to be to pawn whatever she can, and get a new/used glock26 - I have a feeling she won't be able to get the money required to afford a glock.

My question is: What are a few affordable but RELIABLE pistols, that are smaller or around the size of a g26 - 9mm is preferred but 380 is as low as I think she should go. Her ex is 300+lb's, I'm concerned about a 380's ability to penetrate reliably.

Any suggestions?
Do you own any guns that fit this category? If so, let her try them out to see what she likes the best. Or, if the range rents, go that way.

#34 · (Edited)
Rape counseling.
Visit from Locksmith - reinforced doors and windows or window bars, reinforced bedroom door with deadbolt.
Installation of alarm with panic button/remote
Self Defense Class
Professional Firearms Instruction

Low Cost Handguns for car, carry or home

Ruger SP101 .357 bobbed hammer, with Corbon DPX 110 gr .38 Special +p or Gold Dot 135 gr .38 Special +p, Nyclad .38 Special (all will have negligible recoil in steel revolver)

Similar steel frame Taurus Revolver with same loads.

Can find the above two used quite often and save a bunch.

Would stay away from the, Ruger LCR, and S&W Airweight and Airlite revolvers. Fine revolvers but the recoil is not for new shooters. Stick with steel frame revolvers.

Ruger LC9
Keltec PF9
Used G26
Ruger SR9C
Keltec P11
S&W 3913
SIG 225/P6
Stoeger Cougar

For home
Remington 870 Express Compact Jr 20 Gauge, buckshot
Police Trade G17
Sigma

Quick access lock box.
2nd cellphone always charging in the bedroom.

If money is a big problem, you can lend her some, she can pawn or sell something, or even though I detest consumer credit, she can likely get a store card at bass pros, Cabelas or Gander and just use it in the case of this emergency to purchase a firearm and accessories.

She needs to have layered protection. Make entry into the home difficult, backed up with an alarm and monitoring company, firearm is last resort. Make bedroom into reinforced safe room. Add a watch dog as additional alarm if suitable.

#35 ·
If this was a friend of mine,I would go find her ex when he gets out and have a "talk" with him...:steamed:
The woman isn't the OP's friend; she's a friend of the OP's fiance.

Regardless of their association or relationship the very last thing I'd recommend is becoming involved in a situation that's already resulted in the arrest of the perp. Let law enforcement/prosecution institutions deal with this alleged criminal. And do remember at this stage his criminality has not been adjudicated in a court of law.

What is the "friend" going to do when he initiates a confrontation with an alleged violent offender? What's the "friend" going to do if the perp escalates the confrontation that the "friend" initiated?

Your advice sound like a prescription for potentially very serious legal problems for the "friend" and it's not something I would ever recommend --- unless one is going out of his/her way to look for trouble.

#36 ·
Rape counseling.
Visit from Locksmith - reinforced doors and windows or window bars, reinforced bedroom door with deadbolt.
Installation of alarm with panic button/remote
Self Defense Class
Professional Firearms Instruction

Low Cost Handguns for car, carry or home

Ruger SP101 .357 bobbed hammer, with Corbon DPX 110 gr .38 Special +p or Gold Dot 135 gr .38 Special +p, Nyclad .38 Special (all will have negligible recoil in steel revolver)

Similar steel frame Taurus Revolver with same loads.

Can find the above two used quite often and save a bunch.

Would stay away from the, Ruger LCR, and S&W Airweight and Airlite revolvers. Fine revolvers but the recoil is not for new shooters. Stick with steel frame revolvers.

Ruger LC9
Keltec PF9
Used G26
Ruger SR9C
Keltec P11
S&W 3913
SIG 225/P6
Stoeger Cougar

For home
Remington 870 Express Compact Jr 20 Gauge, buckshot
Police Trade G17
Sigma

Quick access lock box.
2nd cellphone always charging in the bedroom.

If money is a big problem, you can lend her some, she can pawn or sell something, or even though I detest consumer credit, she can likely get a store card at bass pros, Cabelas or Gander and just use it in the case of this emergency to purchase a firearm and accessories.

She needs to have layered protection. Make entry into the home difficult, backed up with an alarm and monitoring company, firearm is last resort. Make bedroom into reinforced safe room. Add a watch dog as additional alarm if suitable.
Ive got the SR9c id have her try the slide on that first my wife cant rack the slide on the SR9c..she could rack the slide on the Glock 23 easily enough but the SR9c has some pretty strong springs in it. Great gun just strong spring..

#38 ·
I agree that a revolver is a much simpler gun for a new shooter to use. Most women end up carrying in a purse so a little extra weight isn't a big deal. I think a stainless 38 is a great choice. The extra heft makes it much more manageable. Of course they will need to practice with it, but that's true of any gun.

#39 ·
Ruger P95.
This poster beat me to it. My experience with them has been 100% reliability. This gun can be had for $300.00. I'd get it in the Safety/de cock version for her. You can rack the slide and then engage the safety which in turn safely drops the hammer on a live round. Remove the safety with a flick of the thumb and the gun is ready to fire but the first pull will be in double action (stiff pull like a revolver) which could be viewed as an extra measure of "safety", and then the rest of the cycle will be in single action. Basically, you're getting revolver type "safety" in a reasonably priced, dependable, good capacity gun chambered in an effective cartridge. 300lbs.? You might want to load 147gr.-
I've had three of these and they work. Best deal for quality versus price going in my lowly opinion.

I wish you and your friend the best of luck with this situation. MAYBE, they'll keep him in jail.:upeyes: That of course would be the best, most sensible outcome.

#40 · (Edited)
For a gun newbie who is also shell-shocked, a small revolver loaded with 38+p is the way to go.

If she panics, no slide to pull back, no mag to drop, no safety to worry about, long trigger pull is a great safety.

Smith, Ruger or Taurus is the way I'd go, in that order.

Prayers for your friend.

#41 ·
She will need to prepare herself for the task of defending her life, mentally. Read books such as "On Combat" which will explain how you will react to this task. The shooting part takes dedicated training, the combat part takes a little more self determination..The more she knows the better off she'll be..I recommend a revolver, in 38sp...

#42 · (Edited)
1) sorry to hear about your fiance's friend. that sounds like a ******* horrible situation. People that think they can have their way with other people need to be, ummmm, corrected in their thinking.

I'd recommend:

Glock 19, 26 gen 3 (flame thread protected)
Ruger sr9
S&W m&p
beretta px4 sub compact.

In my opinion, she should get a G19. It is good for HD and carry (especially in a purse). It is dead nuts reliable regardless of maintenance.

I wouldn't underestimate how little the gun will get taken care of.

I second counseling and maybe a large dog.

Spend the money right the first time. It is cheaper in the end. This will likely be the first and last gun she will ever own. It had better be the best she can possibly get.

Maybe she can sell something to come up with some extra cash. many guns stores also have some layaway and financing options.

#43 · (Edited)
Ruger SR9C, Ruger LC9

Less concealable but still reliable: S&W Sigma(HEAVY trigger), Ruger P-series, police trade-in S&W 3rd Gen.

Taurus revolvers are actually good quality. The only downsides to a revolver are a little heavier trigger pull, less capacity, and how long it takes to reload even with speed loaders.
I agree with all of this: Taurus 85 or any on the above are great choices, as would be the S&W SD9, all available in her price range and all good to go for her needs.

#47 · (Edited)
Kahr CW9
Sig P250
S&W SD9
Ruger SR9/SR9c
EAA Witness/Witness Compact
SA XD9/XD9SC
S&W M&P/M&Pc

#50 ·
Odd recommendation for a new shooter. :headscratch: Either carry cocked and locked, or manually lower the hammer? Unless you meant one of the decock models? :dunno:
Although I do own a decocker I did overlook this issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.