Glock Talk banner

Need help - cheap 9mm - friend was raped

20K views 186 replies 105 participants last post by  MinnesnowtaWild 
#1 ·
My fiance's friend from work has an abusive ex that's been stalking/harrassing her for months. Yesterday he came to her house, and beat her senseless, raped her, and threatened to kill her. The police arrested him and he is currently locked up, but no telling when/how quickly he will get out.

She's been asking us to take her to the range and teach her about guns and how to shoot - she knows absolutely nothing about firearms, but after speaking to her, she has made up her mind to carry and take this seriously. I'm taking her tomorrow first thing - but she needs to get a handgun. Her main problem is money - I told her the best bet would to be to pawn whatever she can, and get a new/used glock26 - I have a feeling she won't be able to get the money required to afford a glock.

My question is: What are a few affordable but RELIABLE pistols, that are smaller or around the size of a g26 - 9mm is preferred but 380 is as low as I think she should go. Her ex is 300+lb's, I'm concerned about a 380's ability to penetrate reliably.

Any suggestions?

#4 ·
J frame seems to be the default answer. I challenge that suggestion. Good luck getting her to enjoy shooting a J frame enough to be proficient.

A gun that fits her hand and makes her want to shoot would be my suggestion. If she loves a j frame, thats great.

#7 · (Edited)
if u have an extra one, teach her with it and then let her borrow it until she can afford the same one or something similar. but it seems the first thing that should be done is get a restraining order. of course that wont stop him from coming near her but does give her more legal "backing" if he shows up again and she needs to defend herself.

#8 ·
I know that this will probably sound ridiculous, especially here at GT but since her budget is so limited, why not start off with a Hi Point?

I know, I know... don't flame me!

I've heard that they're reliable and they're definitely affordable, even if it's just a temporary thing until she can upgrade to something a bit nicer.

Here's a link to their 9mm with a suggested retail of $165.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/handguns_9mm.html

#11 ·
Don't get a semi-automatic for someone who doesn't know anything about guns. Get a revolver.
I assumed, from the OP's original post, that she would become familiarized with firearms, especially semi-automatics.

...She's been asking us to take her to the range and teach her about guns and how to shoot...

#12 · (Edited)
Find a nice used CZ 75. Have her rent a few guns including a revolver with some length of barrel beyond snubbie. A few different types so she can tell you what she prefers and can shoot well first.

#13 ·
Find a nice used CZ 75. Have her rent a few guns including a revolver with some length of barrel beyond snubbie. A few different types so she can tell you what she prefers and can shoot well first.
Odd recommendation for a new shooter. :headscratch: Either carry cocked and locked, or manually lower the hammer? Unless you meant one of the decock models? :dunno:

#15 ·
The trigger is heavier, but for a small affordable 9 the Kel-Tec P11 gets generally good reviews. A used S&W 3913 is a good manageable size, but they're getting harder to find and are going up in price. Ruger SR9c or LC9, as mentioned above, could be good, but I'd worry about the LC9 recoil for a new shooter.

For .380, a Bersa Thunder is affordable and a sweet shooter, but ammo cost is high and you have concerns against a large attacker.

#16 ·
Get a J-frame and load it up with some factory target rounds. Won't recoil as bad as standard 38 Special loads. It will be pretty controllable.

After getting raped she's not going to mind the recoil.

Wheelguns are simple, easy to operate.

All the Best,
D. White

#17 · (Edited)
Don't get a semi-automatic for someone who doesn't know anything about guns. Get a revolver.
^ This is 100% the RIGHT answer if your not willing to train and learn you have no business with a semi auto..That said it seems from the OP statement she wants to learn and go to the range..so if she is willing to learn and train(failure type drills in case it jams up for some reason) if go with a smaller 9m ..how about a LC9 or a PPS they have a slim profile and decent(smaller) size grips for a bit smaller hands id really look at those 2.

If she thinks she wont be able to clear a malfunction in quick order stick with the Revolver the one id look at is the Ruger LCR very manageable with a great trigger. IMO right now out of the box the best SD Revolver on the market.

#18 · (Edited)
^ This is 100% the RIGHT answer if your not willing to train and learn you have no business with a semi auto..That said it seems from the OP statement she wants to learn and go to the range..so if she is willing to learn and train(failure type drills in case it jams up for some reason) if go with a smaller 9m ..how about a LC9 or a PPS they have a slim profile and decent(smaller) size grips for a bit smaller hands id really look at those 2.

the LC9 is $389 give or take

The LCR about the same I think maybe $10 more so both less than $400

If money is real tight the Kel Tec PF9 is also a decent deal at around $250

#19 · (Edited)
If this was my friend and she was in the same position as your friend is, the wife and I would be taking her gun shopping.
I would make up the difference from what ever money she had and buy her the gun that fits her Hand/body-type.

find out if she can rack the slide, hold the gun properly, work all the controls.

Help her find A CCW class.
Help her find a self defense class.
Help her find someone to help deal with being raped.

#20 ·
If she is interested in gaining proficiency in shooting because of what happened she will be fine.
A lot of women make better shooters because many have no preconceived notions on how to shoot and how to hold a firearm. + they listen!! men not as much.
I see it every week in our CCW class.

#21 ·
A snub nose has about the same ballistics as a .380 unless you get into the hot loads, which will have too much recoil and muzzle flash. The only thing you can do for female shooters is have them try out a few guns. If she can't find a gun she likes that's cheap enough, I'm sure one of her family members would be willing to chip in some money. If not, take up a collection among some of your friends.

#22 · (Edited)
Our local ranges have "lady's nights" which I would recommend. She can try out various different guns and get someone outside her circle of friends to teach her. She'll make up her own mind whether a gun is right for her and which one.

I'd go along with the revolver recommendation though from my experience with ladies.

Mentally is she ready to own a gun? When I went through my CWP class there was a lady who had obviously been through a traumatic event. We could tell by her questions and handling of her firearm. Even though she passed the requirements of the course her application was rejected by the instructor.

I wish your friend the best with her recovery.

#23 · (Edited)
Several questions.

How did he get into the house? Did he force his way-did she him walking up a path? I'm not asking if she knew she was about to be beat down and raped. Did this assault happen at night? Does she plan on getting a CCW permit? I know these sound like stupid questions but to me it makes sense to ask.

To me a pistol isn't the answer if she doesn't plan on getting a permit. Is this harrassment nonstop at work or only while she is at home.

Then there are questions around penetration, etc.

I say get a shotgun, 20 gauge with low recoil shells and some buckshot. You can pick up reliable, used 20 gauge Remingtons all day for $200 around me.

Do your part and field strip and clean it for her. Add a recoil paid and she is set.

300# or not. At in-home ranges even a partial miss will give him something to think about-a center mass hit and he will have bigger problems than deciding whether to rape or beat her.

The question isn't getting a tool...its the right tool for the job.

#24 ·
if u have an extra one, teach her with it and then let her borrow it until she can afford the same one or something similar. but it seems the first thing that should be done is get a restraining order. of course that wont stop him from coming near her but does give her more legal "backing" if he shows up again and she needs to defend herself.

This. If I had a friend who had unspeakable things happen to her as you mentioned, I'd gladly throw a gun her way and spend a couple weekends training her.

PS - Assuming it's legal in your state of course. I know in Texas giving guns as "gifts or letting them "borrow" is. I'd assume Arizona is the same way, they seem to be more relaxed on firearms than Texas.

#25 · (Edited)
Sorry for the double post , and not to turn this thread into a caliber war, but I don't understand why people are recommending her the J frame. I've been shooting for over a decade and absolutely hate shooting that, the gun rubs my hand raw after 20 rounds, not to mention 5 rounds of .38? I personally wouldn't go any lower than 9mm for personal protection. I know many will get on my case for this but take it or leave it. Last thing I'd want to hear is how she failed to stop him, and he turned the gun on her. Sort of what happened in TN a week or two back.

Several questions.

How did he get into the house? Did he force his way-did she him walking up a path? I'm not asking if she knew she was about to be beat down and raped. Did this assault happen at night? Does she plan on getting a CCW permit? I know these sound like stupid questions but to me it makes sense to ask.

To me a pistol isn't the answer if she doesn't plan on getting a permit. Is this harrassment nonstop at work or only while she is at home.

Then there are questions around penetration, etc.

I say get a shotgun, 20 gauge with low recoil shells and some buckshot. You can pick up reliable, used 20 gauge Remingtons all day for $200 around me.

Do your part and field strip and clean it for her. Add a recoil paid and she is set.

300# or not. At in-home ranges even a partial miss will give him something to think about-a center mass hit and he will have bigger problems than deciding whether to rape or beat her.

The question isn't getting a tool...its the right tool for the job.
In AZ there is no CCW permit required to carry. She should be fine with a nice glock, since that will/SHOULD be on her more often.

#26 ·
if u have an extra one, teach her with it and then let her borrow it until she can afford the same one or something similar. .
I used to think this and let a family member borrow a Glock after his house got broken into. Guess what.....they broke into his house a second time and promptly stole my gun. It was the only thing of value that was stolen the second time. I'm still bothered that my handgun is out there potentially being used to commit crimes.

After that I don't let people borrow my guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.