close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need help building upper on ar

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by cfec2008, May 27, 2011.

1. cfec2008

cfec2008

May 2, 2010
    hey, I just built my first lower. Took me a little while to get it together, but got it finished. Now I want to build a comple upper. I need to know where I can find the information on EVERYTHING that I need to know to do it. Also need to know what tool that i HAVE to buy. Thanks

2. zhix

zhix

Jan 31, 2010
    An upper receiver vise block (assuming you have a bench vise), a torque wrench(1/2 drive in the 35-80 ft. lb. range), and barrel nut wrench/attachment for the torque wrench.

I wasted money on the Brownell's how to video, cause I assumed it would have all the proper info and procedures. While most of the info is good, their barrel-torquing procedure doesn't follow mil spec. and some other things it doesn't show you how to do without using their over-priced unneccesary tools.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  4. cfec2008

cfec2008

May 2, 2010
    thanks for the help guys. Seems like I wont really be saving to much money because instead of buying a bcm upper i want to try to build a bcm upper. i could save if i bought a dpms or j&t kit, but then it wouldnt be a bcm and ive read pretty good reviews on j&t but for some reason my heart is set on bcm. its been very hard to find a bad review on their stuff.

5. cfec2008

cfec2008

May 2, 2010

so that pretty much sums up all the tools i will need? that doesnt sound to bad at all. I dont have a vise yet, but I will be getting one with the other tools that you mentioned. thanks a lot

6. zhix

zhix

Jan 31, 2010
    You will need a 3/4" open end wrench, which you probably already have. If not, most AR combo barrel nut wrenches have a 3/4" cut for taking on/off flash hiders.
    Also a pair of slip ring pliers and punch set. You probably already have those as well, but it wouldn't hurt to have extra small diameter punches since they bend/break easily and it helps to have more than one of the same size for certain tasks.

7. cfec2008

cfec2008

May 2, 2010

Zhix...thank you so much for the info. I will definatly look around for those tools this week. btw i ordered a larue tactical bolt carrier group this morning, and a magpul ctr stock with the tube and lt spring and buffer. that alone cost me right at 300 counting shipping. Hate to spend so much money, but i want good stuff. thanks again man.

8. Grovenator

Grovenator

Nov 27, 2005
    Washington
  9. cfec2008

cfec2008

May 2, 2010