close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need help adjusting to high-altitude baking

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Patricia, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart Millennium Member CLM

Apr 5, 1999
    Flagstaff, AZ
  2. allanc

allanc "Inconceivable"

I don't know what kind of cookies you are baking but if the recipe has baking powder, reduce the amount by about 25%. You also need to increase the liquid content by adding 2 to 3 tablespoons more liquid (or even water).

Good luck...;f

3. Patricia

Apr 5, 1999
    Flagstaff, AZ
  4. For every cup of sugar your original recipe calls for, decrease it by 1-3 tablespoons. (I'd take 1.5 tbls. out per cup.) Whatcha baking me?:) I have no problem eating your "deformed" cookies!

5. Patricia

Apr 5, 1999
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Let's see, I have to cut everything back this year, including my baking, so I asked everyone to pick their favorites. I'm making oatmeal raisin cookies, peanut butter cookes, Christmas tree cookies(basically a butter cookie recipe put through a press) and fudge. I'm also making my fudge truffle cheesecake for Christmas Eve. I will use the adjustments mentioned, but fortunately, the people I'm baking for care less about appearance and much more about flavor. I hope some of the cookies last until Christmas Eve for Santa. ;f

What about you Exxotic? I bet you bake up a storm. :)

6. I've got some batches going right now....I make all the chocolaty-gooey-nutty-caramely cookies and bars in huge batches (I have 2 ovens and 1 convection oven thankfully) for the kids in the neighborhood, the neighbors, my husband's patients, as small gifts, etc...

I make the soft and chewy chocolate and rapsberry cheesecake bars for the nursing home I occassionaly volunteer at...

I give the "high-end" stuff (Chambord and Baily's cupcakes) to the animal shelter for them to sell at their holiday fundraiser...

and I make all top-secret German recipes (from my great grandfather on my dad's side) for myself for personal consumption!

I am seriously guestimating that in the past week...I've consumed about 3 lbs of flour and 5lbs of sugar. My husband walked into the kitchen this morning as he wanted to know why the Oompah Lumpahs weren't here helping me.

7. allanc

allanc "Inconceivable"

Patricia, you never asked me what my favorite was! ;f

All I'm baking is a peach cobbler this year.

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    when adjusting for high altitude you increase the flour.

For their recipe for vanishing oatmeal raisin cookies (on the box)

flour goes from 1 1/2 cups to 1 3/4 cups.

most cookbooks should have some information.