close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need exhaust opinions for truck

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by glockdeacon, Jan 31, 2006.

1. glockdeacon

glockdeacon

Dec 11, 2004
    Texas
    I have an '04 Ram v8. Currently I have a glasspack in the stock muffler location. Should I get a dual tip set up or maybe upgrade to a Dynomax muffler? Dual setups are more for looks unless its a true dual. Anyone heard a Dynomax in a truck or other muffler they would recomend that wont break the bank?

-D

2. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    Magnaflow makes free flowing mufflers that have just the right note to them. They growl a bit when you get on it, but they don't drone at freeway speeds.

I think I still have a 3" one around some place I never used on a project.

3. spober

spober

Feb 22, 2005
    wendel n.c.
    MY STOCK DAKOTA 4X4 5 SPEED/3.9 V6 IS SOUNDING BETTER ALL THE TIME.138,000 MILES AND THE MUFFLER IS BURNING OUT I GUESS.BUT MAN IT SOUNDS GOOD.LOWW RUMBLE.

4. MillerTime

MillerTime

Jan 30, 2006
    Iowa
    I agree.. go w/ the magnaflow. This is a "cat back" system. All the pipes are pre bent to fit each model truck. They just bolt up to the cat. converter (one pipe) then into the muffler and comes out dual pipes.

5. MOBEEBO

MOBEEBO a.k.a. Derwood!

Sep 8, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    If you want to get the most go with a new "Cat-Back" system. I would have a reputable local shop custom bend the piping for you rather than ordering a pre-made system. They can achieve the best clearance and weld it together without the bolted clamps. Also, I have both Magnaflow and DynoMax mufflers on my vehicles. They are both good.
    You are right. Dual exhaust only works if it is a true dual and then the piping is smaller to keep up the pressure so you don't lose low end torque. With a single pipe system in and single pipe out of the muffler you can get piping that is a little larger to get good flow. Again, go to a reputable local shop and ask their advice.

;c

6. lakota169

lakota169

Dec 18, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    On my Dakota R/T (5.9L), I had a Flowmaster 40 series muffler with 3" pipe from the cat back. Sounded awsome.

7. awcrooks

awcrooks NRA/TSRA Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Texas
    +1

I have full 3" exhaust from the Mopar headers back with a Flowmaster 40 series street/strip (not delta flow) and it's perfect.
    [​IMG]

8. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Dec 19, 2000
    Find an exhaust shop that will tear out everything
    behind the cats and add 3 inch pipe with a Borla XR1 muffler.

[​IMG]

9. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    If obnoxious, loud and terrible drone on the freeway is what you like, it's a great route to take.

10. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Dec 19, 2000
    Do you have any experience with the borla xr1?

11. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    Actually yes, I used to build custom exhausts out of mandrel bends and I did one with a XR1. I didn't care for how loud it was for a street car.

I know a couple people who have them on race cars and they are pretty loud, but they are fine for race purposes.

12. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    A Borla XR-1 will still be quieter/cleaner than the glasspack he is running now.

In the future I might replace the dynomax bullets on my Z28 with XR-1's to quiet it down a little bit. ;)

13. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    For making nice quiet exhausts I used to stick a Dynomax Bullet in place of the straight sections of an exhaust where I could fit it. Between it and a Magnaflow final muffler, the systems were quiet but made great power on turbo cars. It would even quiet cars that people hacked the cat off of.

14. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Cats on my car would be similer, for me, to having a magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds. ;)

That is a good use for bullet mufflers, but they are all I have in my exhaust. ;a

Glockdeacon: I recommend a full cat-back made for your vehicle with a "real" muffler (not a bullet style). Magnaflow usually sound pretty nice, as does Flowmaster.

15. 00blkgt

00blkgt

Dec 8, 2005
  16. glockdeacon

glockdeacon

Dec 11, 2004
    Texas
    Im leaning towards dynomax or magnaflow. I haven't had a Flowmaster that didnt resonate horribly on the highway.

17. Man, Flowmaster 2 chambers are hard to beat.

They sound awesome, and flow better than just about everything out there.

I tried to go against the flow and mess with some other brands on my Mustang years ago. In the end, the Flows gave me the best accleration, and the meanest sound.

18. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23 Salty Collar

Dec 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Werd on the Flows! I have had two, my dad has one, my grandfather has one, and buddy has one. All of us drive a FSC(fullsizechevy)and love the sound. The only one that is annoying is John's with a magnaflow hiper. cat and dumped behind the cab. That is some loud ass exhaust right there.

19. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    He removed the cat and did a side dump? That would piss me off to no end to be next to that guy.

20. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta

He said dumped behind the cab, not out the side of the vehicle.

You should come sit next to mine. I have an LS1 with longtube headers, no cats, 3" duals with an X-pipe, dynomax bullets and dumps just before the rear axle. Oh yeah, and a nasty cam with 13.5* of overlap @ .05. ;a