close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

need cop workout help

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by twostepct, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I need some help from the "fit of the world". I am 23 6'/200
    +/- 3 and am a police officer working 1800-0400hrs 4 days a week. Background: Entered the academy weighing 240. Graduated weighing 220. I am not sure how, but I have lost an additional 20 or so pounds just being a police officer. I don't watch what I eat, but I usually only eat twice a day. Now that I am down to a decent weight for my size (it's not THAT bad is it??) I would like to take advantage of the opportunity, and start lifting and trying to stay in better shape. Another reason of insperation is that I have been involved in some stuff at work that kind of runs along-side SWAT stuff and have loved every minute of it, so now I have a new work interest. I am no runner by any stretch of the imagination and usually average a 9:45 mile and only run a mile or so.

My goals: Gain running stamina in order to be able to keep up with most of the SWAT guys, add muscle mass and gain definition and overall just keep my weight off.

My typical day: Wake up 1400hrs. Get ready for work and eat something fast around 1530-1600 (usually McDonalds or Taco Bueno). Go to work and in the process dip lots of snuff and drink on average of 3 liters of water in a 10 hour shift. Me and a buddy usually go eat around 2330 which usually involves either a breakfast buffet or a hamburger. Get off work at 0400 and go home to take a shower again and go to bed.

So there it is. I will be working out in the gym at my PD which has the basics and nothing more. Can anyone recommend a workout program for me, 'cause I know nothing about it. I would also like help on supplements etc, but I can't afford to spend huge amounts on them. I also have a bad shoulder that usually starts hurting as the weight increases. Sorry this turned out so long, but I think I have answered MOST of what will be asked. Thanks Guys!

2. Smoove9

Smoove9

Jun 11, 2005
    Before taking supplements you should eat cleaner and more often. Eat about 6 meals throughout the day. Eating every 2-3 hours is what keeps your metabloism running. Continue drinking the water.

As for the workouts, you should stick with compound exercises.

Good luck

3. grey myst

grey myst

Feb 8, 2002
    So. Cal.
    As far as compound exercises are concerned, check out: www.crossfit.com

I also echo Smoove9's advice to eat cleaner and more often.

4. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

Mar 9, 2005
    Iraq
    Invest in a good Elliptical Trainer. I use mine 45 mins a day and it is a fantastic workout. Best of all you can do it while watching TV. Drink LOTS of water and avoid sodas, fried foods and sugar. Instead of Taco bell, why not Subway?

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
    I'm with grey mist. Try the Crossfit protocol. Another good starting point may be "Body for Life".

6. killerglock

killerglock

Aug 15, 2004
    working out after work wouldnt be right at 0400 try sleeping from 5 till 1300 that is 8 hours eat breaskfast like a few hard boiled eggs or poached and some cereal like total something good. head to the gym do 2 groups a day like chest and triceps , biceps and back, abs and legs etc but always do at least 20-30 min of cardio a day like 15 min on a bike and 15 on the eliptical set it on cross training mode. as for suppliments take a multi vitamin dont miss it take it after a meal dont miss it. maybe a good amino acid in pill or liquid form once after workouts and a protein powder taken before breakfast after workouts and before bed . dont forget to take time to go to the store buy fruit like oranges necterines banannas etc eat those when you feel hungary instead of the fast food bring a cooler with turkey sandwiches ham etc on wheat turkey jerkey hi protein low carb and fat snacks. no alcohol. sorry so long but this is a evreyday lifestyle evrey aspect of life needs to be looked at there is more you can do but read mens health or muscle mags.

7. Billy2

Billy2

Apr 24, 2002
    Mass
  8. pitbullk9

pitbullk9

May 23, 2004
    Rural Kansas
    Your diet sounds lousy. Take the time and effort to eat better, I know it's a hassle. This day and age most everyone knows what they should be eating it's a matter of doing it. Take an hour or two and prepare your food for the work week on a day off.

You can't accomplish all your fitness goals at one time. Trying to get bigger/stronger and trying to get defined is not an effective goal. Washboard abs have little to do with physical performance or health.

Base your weight workouts on squats, deadlifts, and bench. Fill in the rest with whatever. Bodybuilding is fine, but you have to include the big three. I would hold off the cardio until you have a reasonable strength base, assuming your life is somewhat active.

Try this site for advice.

http://www.deepsquatter.com/

Stay away from muscle mags, they are full of adds and BS.

9. California Jack

Aug 2, 1999
    +1 on that one, amen!

Concentrating on Pitbulk's Big 3 is a good idea too. My Big 3 are a little different, I use squats, cleans and Overhead press, but it's the same thing really.

Good post Pitbulk.

Jack

10. saspic

saspic Howdy Y'all! CLM

Jan 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    How about a workout that can help your L.E. career also?
    http://kravmaga.com/krav01.html
    Krav is a great workout. Occasionally we spend a class on something less physically demanding, like learning knife defenses, but you leave every class feeling like you accomplished something.
    I'm not sure where in Texas you are, but in San Antonio they've added law enforcement only classes Wednesday mornings and Saturday afternoons (the schedule is not up to date).
    http://911kravmaga.com/index.html

11. pitbullk9

pitbullk9

May 23, 2004
    Rural Kansas
    I would argue that gaining 20lbs of muscle with a workout based on squats, deadlifts and bench press would help in law enforcement work.

12. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    A friend going through the Academy was told that if a BG can go 10 min make sure you can go 11.

Heavy weights do not improve stamina (as much as a lot of reps with lighter weights)large bulky muscles have fewer reps available to them.

Way back when, I would work up to 100 repetitions before I increased the weight.

I met a lot of people that were bulky that could not do 100 reps with an empty bar.

13. pitbullk9

pitbullk9

May 23, 2004
    Rural Kansas
    Do you think that World's strongest man competitors don't have stamina?

Would you take a marathon runner or a powerlifter to a fight for back up?

Fighting 11 minutes to outlast the BG's 10 is fine, but I think a better plan is to be physically able to end the fight. I'm not saying strength is the only factor, but it helps.

20lbs of extra muscle does not make you "bulky".

14. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    Do you think that World's strongest man competitors don't have stamina?

Did you ever see them try 2 or 3 times then not be able to lift their arms or stand?

That is massive strength with out endurance. If it goes over a minute they are done.

My sons Judo instructor, said if you want to get in shape for competition get a job on a farm---work from light until dark.

15. California Jack

Aug 2, 1999
    I'm not going to get in the pissing match of big guys that can't rep out on an empty bar stuff, but this quote is just wrong. WSM competion is more about strength endurance than maximal strength. Very few events in strongman shows are about maximal strength, maybe deadlifts. The other stuff, farmers walks, tire flipping, log pressing, truck pulling, stone lifting etc., etc., are strength ENDURANCE events. You are wrong in your statement above.

Powerlifting is strength without endurance. Weightlifting is strength without endurance. Marathoning is endurance without strength. WSM is about strength endurance.

16. Great Post Jack. Plus one's all the way around. If one has not tried the WSM type events, one has no idea what all is involved.^6 ^c
    Powerlifting, weightlifting and WSM are different beasts.

17. California Jack

Aug 2, 1999
    This depends. Is the powerlifter wearing his bench shirt, squat suit and various wraps and other support gear? If he is, I may want to have the runner back me up!;c ;)

Jack

18. pitbullk9

pitbullk9

May 23, 2004
    Rural Kansas
    Lets say the powerlifter is wearing just a singlet and a belt, but just got a snort of Crain's nose torc and a liberal application of chalk.

19. Real Police

Real Police

Sep 20, 2005
    USA
    My philosophy is that strength is just as important as endurance and cardio is just as important as the iron. I lift to 12 reps and then increase weight to the point where I reach failure at about 8 reps. Eventually I build back up to 12........

Every day Im on the treadmill or elipitcal for 30 to 60 mins,"30 on lift days". I love doing squats because they are the closest thing I can find to running up 5 floors, with 30 lbs of gear on, knowing at the end of the run the best you can hope for is a horrendous fist battle.

I mix resistance types between a machine and dumbells in a 4 day split. My answer to the lousy food we eat on the street is to bring a lunch in the squad car. Every day I make a large green leafy salad with eggs, cheese, meat, and raw veggies in it and eat off of that. I also bring extra hard boiled eggs for snacks. The only carbs I eat besides that is fruit in the AM. Limiting carbs is the answer to maintaining weight..........RP

20. killerglock

killerglock

Aug 15, 2004
    I agree but sitting in a car all night eating fast food and sleeping till an hour before work I would say do much cardio. start 15 min before a workout 1 week than up it to 20 min, than 30 min a week later. or you will have a nice gut and no energy.