close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice...

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by dogcaller, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Going out with buddies for a long overdue 3-day quail/predator hunt. We're each bringing food for one day. Does anyone have any particularly good and easy to prepare meals/recipes to suggest? We'll be in a travel trailer, so there's a small stove, etc. I'm no chef but I know there has to be some easy to fix but killer meals...

Thanks!!

(I'll post pics of the hunt when I get back!)

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    make it at home or just open cans at the trailer.

Frozen ground beef will keep in a cooler. Thaw and cook in the same pan.

Freeze it in zip-loc bags. Flatten it so that it thaws faster.

Pasta boil salted water use store bought sauce as easy as it gets.

3. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

Nov 1, 2005
    Tejas.
    Lethal posted a lot of good ideas. If you're looking for something w/ a little more range, google backpacking recipe's.

The emphasis here is on a good mix of protein, carbs, fats, and sugars to keep you going on the trail (or in the field in your case).

What I usually do is go to the local store and head down the freeze-dried aisle. Grab a box of red beans n rice, black beans n rice, jambalaya, pretty much anything in the 7 oz pre-cooked weight range who's directions read:

Combine water and mix. boil x minutes. eat. This makes it easy to cook over a camp stove.

If you head out to this area often, it might be worth investing in a food-dehydrator. You can make pasta or rice based dishes at home and dehydrate them. All you have to do is moisten them w/ boiling water and you've got a great meal. Very light and doesn't need refridgeration.

ETA: W/ a dehydrator you can also make jerky, dried fruit, trail mix, blah blah blah. Sure you've heard this before.

4. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Mar 1, 2002
    RFD South Georgia