close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice on trying fish to eat for the first time

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Snaps, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Apr 8, 2004
    SWPA sticks
    Long story short, right now I"m 33 years old but when I was about 10 years old my family was on vacation at the beach, I tried some crab and came a little too close to dying for comfort. After that I never ate anything that swimmed except gator.

Wellllll turns out as of this week (allergist) I'm no longer allergic, so Im trying to figure out what would be a good kinda fish or seafood or whatever to try.

I know i always hear people eating Cod, but I'm looking for ideas, something that's generally very good.

2. Anchovies, kippered Herring, Lox and tuna in a can would be a good start. I don't care for much else in the line of fish. Oh, yeah, fish and chips would be good. I think that's cod usually in a good restaurant.

3. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    Orange roughy is a good white fish, swordfish or tuna is also good but its a darker meat.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

Aug 17, 2009
    Mid Pac.
  5. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    Might not have been the crab; it could have been the restaurant that served it to you. :supergrin:

Just so you know, any WHITE COLORED fish flesh that comes from a FISH WITH SCALES contains no purines, and is very good for inveterate meat-eaters to ingest and give their digestive systems a break for awhile by allowing their bodies to detox.

Personally, I don't eat a lot of meat; and I avoid certain vegetables (like potatoes). I consider the popular national diet to be absolutely poisonous! (Looks like the Mosaic dietary laws weren't so far off after all - Doesn't it.) ;)

6. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Salmon Patties are my favorite

7. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

Aug 2, 2002
    NKY/Cincinnati area
    Cod, haddock, ocean perch, Albacore tuna are good starts.

8. Time to embrace your fears, go have a giant platter of sushi.

9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Its kind of like saying I can now eat meat--what meat should I try?

Too many choices to give you a good reply.

Nobody does fresh fish better than the Japanese. Sushi is subtle, delicate, and extremely delicious. The first time you try it your preconception about raw fish will forever be erased.

Try a meaty fish like swordfish or tuna grilled with some minimal seasoning--its like eating a steak!

I take an inexpensive white fish like Tilapia and slowly braise it in butter. Decadent and easy to do.

Fried fish is good too...but often overcooked thin pieces of fish that don't do the dish justice.

Try some nice Salmon Lox (cured salmon) with some capers and lemon on a bagel with cream cheese.

Try some of the better canned tuna in olive oil on a salad with some calamatta olives and a fresh tomato from the garden with a light vinagrette and some crusty bread.

10. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW My Work Hobby CLM

Aug 10, 2005
    Florida
  11. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Aug 25, 2005
    Florida
    This, though I hate canned tuna and lox with a passion.

12. Tackle

Tackle

Jul 5, 2011
    Lutefisk. Will make you a happy man.

13. JBnTX

JBnTX

Aug 28, 2008
    Fried Catfish!

:eat:

Forget all that "girlie" fish like sushi and lox.
    Eat some fried catfish.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  14. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Sea Bass, Halibut, Walleye are all mild and very good.
    For a first time fish eater, I wouldn't be eating anchovies, sardines, kippers, mackeral, bluefish- all very oily and strong; not a good starting point.

15. Radam3

Radam3

Jul 22, 2011
    MI
    I'm not one for much of any seafood. With that said, PERCH is an excellent place to start imo. A few other that have already been listed i enjoy every once in a while. Most though, i wouldn't touch. But to each their own... good luck. New foods are always fun!

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow

16. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

Mar 3, 2002
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I love a nice piece of cod, halibut, or lightly seared tuna.

I also love sushi, but work yourself into it slowly if interested. Stay away from the unagi, mackerel, and other oily fish.

17. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    How do you figure out that you will not be allergic to something at the end of the week?