close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice on AR 15?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by tonyparson, Jan 20, 2011.

1. tonyparson

tonyparson
    Expand Collapse

I'm about to buy a AR 15 and don't know a thing about them, what I need to know is what one is the better out of these two brands? DPMS AR-15 or BUSHMASTER AR-15. Thanks for your help on this...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. JBnTX

JBnTX
    Expand Collapse
    Texas

3. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Ask yourself "what is this gun for?". If the answer is anything but personal protection, buy the cheaper. If you want it as a gun for protection, neither. Save yourself heartache in the long run with a Colt or BCM. Save up for it if you have to. If anyone tells you their dpms, bushmaster, etc is just as good as a Colt for a protection gun, ask "why?" You'll never get a good answer.

4. FatBoy

FatBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

They're both owned by the same company and would do fine for range use IMHO. My 1990's BM has never failed me after 1000's of rounds, but my Bravo is my current go to gun.

You will get the same answers that come every few weeks when this is asked.

Colt, Bravo, LMT, DD etc.only for fighting guns, or the other group will say all ARs are essentially the same so way pay for the name.

Figure out what you want to do w/ first then buy what you want.

FB

5. surf

surf
    Expand Collapse

Are you restricted to those 2 manufacturers?

6. mvician

mvician
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

What's the big hurry?

STOP, take your time, EDUCATE yourself.
    Do you make all purchases without studying them at least a little bit?
    If all you want to do is to buy an AR from your local store and those are what they carry......flip a coin.

7. DieselNut

DieselNut
    Expand Collapse

Out of the two brands I'd pick the bushmaster.

8. tx787

tx787
    Expand Collapse

Smith and Wesson's M&P15's are the same price as Bushmasters but generally better made and incorporate more of the desired features (like properly staked gas keys).

9. tonyparson

tonyparson
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys I will keep looking. The guy at my gun-shop said these were the best to brands out there, I guess he was worng. I'll look in to Smith and Wesson's M&P15 and other brands with the links you provided here , again thanks. I hate buying something I have no clue whats good or bad. I've always wanted a AR but don't have a clue about them. So I'll do a lot of reading on them before I buy...

#9 tonyparson, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  10. Quigley

Quigley
    Expand Collapse
    Elite Member

The correct word you were looking for is CLUE:tongueout:, just had to poke a little fun. Also take a look at RRA and STAG

11. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Different guns have different advantages. You can not get a top end gun for a rock bottom price. There isn't a ban on now, so you have time to make an informed decision.

First question is "Why do you want an AR-15?"

Is this your one and only SHTF rifle, or is this a weekend target shooter, or is this a long range precision varmint rifle?

Second question: Are you planning on reselling it in the future?

Budget?

12. tonyparson

tonyparson
    Expand Collapse

double post...

#12 tonyparson, Jan 20, 2011
  13. tonyparson

tonyparson
    Expand Collapse

:embarassed: :supergrin:

14. K. Foster

K. Foster
    Expand Collapse

First, what do you intend to do with it? Personal defense, competition, range toy?
    I recommend you take some time and research this. Read all the relevant threads here and on other forums. Google M4 comparison chart by Rob S and look at the features listed. When you have an understanding of what those features are and how they will or will not affect your use requirements, then you can make an informed decision.
    While it may sound simple to just ask what’s a good brand? If you do your own research, you won’t have to worry about some 14 year old key board commando telling you “I’ve been a SWAT cop for 18 years and I only use DPMS ‘cause they’re the best!” Just because somebody works in a gun store, doesn’t mean he can give good advice.

15. tonyparson

tonyparson
    Expand Collapse

I want one for SHTF and for the range. I have a $2000 budget.

16. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

If you really wanted to spend 2k on the rifle, KAC SR15.

My suggestion:
    BCM LW 16" midlength upper w/ BCG, CH, MOE handguards, and BCM rear site for $762 and a BCM lower for $270. Total for rifle $1032 plus shipping. Now add 1k off brass ammo and a few PMAGS. Go shoot. Save the rest for an optic and more ammo later.

17. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

You can do better than a DPMS/Bushmaster.

For the most part, most things can be upgraded but it will cost. So you are probably best off to buy what you want.

IMHO, a rail is essential on a SHTF rifle. My guns with rails allows me to add a light, laser, forward mount my optics. IF you are going with a free float rail, it is best to do it from the beginning.

Do you want a fixed front sight? Some people love the fixed front sight. The claim is that it is robust. I prefer to have a sight that lays down out of the way. This way it doesn't show up when using zero magnification optics. If you go fixed, be sure to get one with the correct height.

Shorter barrels are better up to a point. If you NEVER plan on upgrading your AR, you can go with a 14.5. If you are like the rest of us, a 16inch is better.

18. TedG

TedG
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel USA

Yep, that's some good advice.

With a $2k budget, I wouldn't pick either choice. Look at Noveske or BCM. You can get a really good BCM for under a grand.

#18 TedG, Jan 20, 2011
  19. MikeinCincy

MikeinCincy
    Expand Collapse

I was in a similar situation. Had roughly $3,000 to spend and after a TON of research, went with the Colt LE6940 with a Trijicon ACOG TA31H 4x32. Then, I bought about 1,000 rounds, 3 PMAGS, 2 H&K mags, some Breakfree CLP, Slip2000 EWL, etc. etc.

#19 MikeinCincy, Jan 20, 2011
  20. chineseboxer

chineseboxer
    Expand Collapse

I would opt for Stag, Rock River or S&W over either of the brands you asked about.