close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice for new Glock... (G20 vs. G22)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Musky, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Musky

Musky

Relative newbie... bought a Glock 17 (Gen 4) a few months ago and i have been having fun with it at the range.

Since i want to own 2 Glock pistols (for home defense, woods, carry, range fun, and even a potential SHTF scenario) I have 1 more Glock to pick up and am having quite a tough time figuring out what direction to go with this??? (10mm, or .40SW or maybe even another 9mm??)

I do understand the tradeoffs on ammo availability/cost, etc... I understand that 9mm and 40 is pretty much always available, etc.

I've read a lot about the 10mm and love the concept and the longer, flatter trajectory of the round. When i saw Vickers on TacTv use a Glock 20 to hit a target from 250 yards - that made a pretty big impression on me. (not that i would ever be able to do it - but the range was very impressive)

However - i've read great things about the G22 and the guy at my local gun shop tells me not to bother with a G20. (know he's trying to be helpful - but it's hard to take him seriously though)

The other kicker is that the G20 is not yet available in the 4th Gen... so i would be looking at a G20sf (3G)... which i don't know if that's a huge deal or not just yet.

So i keep going back and forth b/c in my mind i see the G20 as a cool option b/c of the drop in .40 barrels - i could essentially have 2 guns in 1. (both a 10mm and a .40SW)

I'd love to get some thoughts from some of you more seasoned guys out there. Let me know what you think so that i don't have to go broke by buying 5 more Glocks!! :cool:

2. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

as a woods gun when sticking to glock the 20 is your best bet, and stick to underwood ammo and it wont be a problem getting 10mm ammo.

3. barth

barth six barrels

You mentioned a woods gun, and are amenable to conversion barrels, as i am.

The 10mm power in the woods would be sweet.
    Then pop in the 40 conversion barrel for easy to get inexpensive practice ammo.
    Best of both worlds.

I have a Gen 3 G27 (9mm,357,40) and love it.
    If I were in your position, I'd get a Gen 3 10mm and not look back.

Underwood makes some good 10mm ammo BTW.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  4. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

if you really want firepower out of the 10mm frame get the 9x25 dillion barrel, think of it like super .357 sig. sends that bullet out at near rifle speeds. good heavy boolit in that casing would make a good woods gun too

5. B_RAD

B_RAD

Gen 4 G20's are available. You may have to do some searching though. I'd get the G20. In my opinion any "pros" that the .40sw may have over the 9mm do not outway the cons. That's why I'd recommend the G20. I have one and love it. I also have several 9mm and had a G27. Sold the G27 one day after I bought it. Love the G20!

6. larson1122

larson1122

:agree:

7. davsco

davsco

you have the 9mm version. so instead of a relatively small jump to the .40, take a bigger jump to the 10mm. the sf version will work a little better for less than large hands. might be worth it to wait til you find a gen 4, not so much for the adj. backstraps, but i think they are a little 'grippier' than the gen 3's.

cost, varieties and availability of 10mm ammo are all issues, not insurmountable, but issues you need to take into account. but stock up online or at a gun show and you will be good to go.

8. avenues165

avenues165

Like others have said, you already have a 9mm. The .40 s&w is not a big jump from the 9mm, and with premium JHPs they will have very similar performance. The 10mm will allow you a bigger jump into a cartridge many use for hunting and woods applications.

I would get the G20. Personally, I would find a G20SF or hold out for a Gen 4.

9. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

I have a Gen3 Glock 20 (non-SF) that I've been carrying as my sidearm here in Alaska for the past 5 years and I love the gun and the caliber as much now as I did the day I bought it. If you have smaller hands I'd suggest the SF or Gen4 but if you have larger hands like I do I think you'd like the way the non-SF fits your hand.

I have a buddy who was complaining about his wife's Glock 23 not fitting his hand so I let him try my 20. He said it felt like a natural fit for his hand.

10. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER

When great 10mm becomes available from more than a handful of boutique ammo makers I'd say go for it....maybe even then I'd go for it...

But IMO I'm not buying a gun that only offers viable increased performance for reloaders or being resigned to using just a few select manufactures... Otherwise you're just using expensive .40....

My vote is for the 22 otherwise...

11. Rev.357

Rev.357

Have you looked at the .45super?

12. elijah58

elijah58

Don't even think twice, Go with the GEN3 G20, you can't beat it. I love mine and I carry it in my truck all of the time. I love the feel of the bigger guns its absolutely a good choice. But to add, I love the way all of my glocks feel and shoot. I think everyone should have a 10mm, people don't know what they are missing until they get one, Also if the need arises that 10mm will put the bad guy on the ground very quick.

13. GotFour

GotFour

If you reload for the 10MM (and you should) it's even more attractive, but as noted there's great ammo to be had, you just won't find it at wally-world and its pricey. Most of the "factory" loadings are pretty wimpy and not worth the cost. I would also give the nod to the 3rd Generation model but I'm partial :supergrin:. Unless you're gonna be around big bears, you'll have 16 rounds of whup-ass for woods carry......great deer hunting rig.

14. Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash El Guapo

Glock 20 will be my next choice.

Feel the power. :nsb:

15. Musky

Musky

Lots of great thoughts and advice here... thanks guys.

i should mention too that i was all set on a G19 - but wound up going with the G17 a few months back because the very bottom of the G19 was a bit too small for my hands and the G17 just felt a bit better. (i probably wear a large/xl size glove and have decent sized hands - but not massive hands) The only thing that ticked me off was that in my state the G17 came with the 10 round mag vs. the 15 round mag on the G19... so i wasn't happy about that but not much i could do. so i love the fact i can get the G20 with the 15 round mag.

i did get a chance to fondle a G20 (3G) - and it felt just a touch big - so that's what got me thinking about the G20SF... but then i started reading about the G20 (G4) which has the adjustable backstraps... so the bottom line is i think i'm set on a G20 and would probably get the G4 if it was available. Since i haven't seen it and don't know when it's going to be available i might go with the G20SF (3G) if it doesn't look like the G4 will be available within the next few months. (???)

thanks again guys. :cool:

16. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

i wouldnt really call underwood pricy, his prices for real 10mm 50 boxes are the same as say, a 50 box of american eagle FMJs in 10mm. puts underwood at a fantastic price point IMO

17. GotFour

GotFour

You're right......I guess that when you reload you look at all of the alternatives as pricey.

18. avenues165

avenues165

What state do you live in? You must have maximum capacity set at 15 round mags. That sucks, damn gov'ment telling us they know better. I have never hurt anyone with a firearm, why do I have to give up my rights? Rant over. :rant:

Good luck with your search. It sounds like you will be happy with a G20SF or Gen 4 G20.

This is drifting away from the topic, but if you decide to go with a .40 s&w, have you ever considered a G35 or G24? I have a G24 and just love it. Longslides rule:smoking:

19. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Probably not, few do!

Musky, welcome to GT! There are some knowledgeable posts here in your thread. I think most agree, when you are talking having the 17, and wanting to go, any model, in 40, or, another model, in 9MM, it is, merely a lateral move, and another caliber, to need on hand. Tasks, duties, performance, capabilities, are almost identical in the two calibers, with a slight variance in size, and, or, magazine capacity, being the difference.

When the 10MM, is thrown into the scenario, with those two, you're talking a whole other level of firearm. Not to mention, adding woods carry, or hunting possibilities. Adding these scenarios to the list of tasks, duties, performance, and capabilities, the 10 is head and shoulders above the other two!

You have an adequate carry, HD, and, inexpensive range firearm, with the G17. Step up to a G20, willing to bet you will be glad you did. I'm a 3rd Gen fan, and, at this point, doubt I'll ever own the 4th in any model, but, that's me, and, not for everyone. I have a couple of the Glock 10's, and a few other Glock models. Not sure you will do the same, but my other models, have been relegated to range use only. The "10" works phenomenally as a carry, HD, hunting, woods carry, competition, and range firearm, so that's what I recommend!

20. Remington 870

Remington 870

10mm glock 20 sf underwood ammo with a 40 cal aftermarket barrel.