Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Need a new graphics card

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Chuck Perry, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Chuck Perry

Chuck Perry

Apr 11, 2003
    My 64mb card isn't cutting it for gaming anymore, so out it goes. What is a good graphics card with a $200 budget? Are the 256mb cards necessary, or is 128mb ok? I have to admit I am pretty confused about all the variations there are right now. I see 128mb cards starting at under a $100 and going up over $200.
  2. Kcin

Kcin Pie Eater

Sep 22, 2003
    For most of the stuff out now an ATI 9800 pro would probably be good for you. I'm not sure if they have a 256mb card out, but I don't think it's really necessary at this point. If you're into hardcore flying simulations then you'll probably want it, but that's the only type of game that I've heard it really pushed on. I _THINK_ it's down to around $200.. it's just under the best cards out right now. It was knocked out by the ATI 9800XT which goes for $400+. I think a 9800 pro is your best bet.. check out, they usually have good prices. Stick with ATI, they're king right now.

edit: I'm awaiting the release of doom 3 and hl2 before buying a new computer/vid card. Those will be a good standard to judge cards by for a while.

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    check out
  4. Joe Wang

Joe Wang

Dec 24, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    If you're a gamer better check out the boards for your games. Some games work better with some cards and not others.
  5. CIAHitman

CIAHitman WalterGA fan

I have the ATI 9500Pro and have had it for awhile now. I have never had a problem with my card and I play some graphic intensive games, both by myself and online. Id also suggest the 9800Pro if it in your budget.
  6. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nov 18, 2003
    Bad-Lands Ranch
    128 mb cards work great for me. Not alot of gaming just graphics intense acad.

The biggest plus for me has been the dual monitor capability of most of the 128 mb cards.

Once you go dual monitor, it will be hard to go back.
  7. RMTactical

RMTactical CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I would get an ATI or Nvidia. Mine is a 256mb Nvidia and I play Halo PC with it great. I wonder if it helps that I have a gig of memory???

I think I saw a good ATI card the other day at Best buy for about $150 or so. It was a 128 but it was better than my 256 Nvidia, I think. RAM is not the only thing.

I second because you can get great prices there and they ship pretty fast.
  8. Creeper1313

Creeper1313 Aequitas

Feb 3, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree with kcin. I have a Geforce3 right now and it seems to be getting the job done on Battlefield 1942 but it might need to be replaced for games like Half-life 2 and Doom 3. When that time comes I plan to get the 9800 Pro in 128 mb. has one for $212 last time I checked (I'm hoping it goes even lower by the time I need to buy). From what I've seen of benchmark scores of systems similar to mine (1.7GHZ P4), the slight improvement in performance you get from the 256mb 9800 pro or XT, does not justify the upwards of $400 price.
  9. Liberty_MI

Liberty_MI Was CWard

Jan 30, 2003
    I have a 9800 pro and its absolutely incredible. They definatley beat Gforce using DirectX9 , Stick with ATI and go with newegg, I had a sapphire and the fan siezed up, newegg replaced it right away no questions asked. I think its around $229
  10. Soujurn

Soujurn Deus Diligo USA

Jul 4, 2001
    Las Cruces, N.M.
    The ATI Radeon 9600pro is a pretty good card w/256 meg of DDR and a 128 bit bus.
    It will be light years better than what you have now.

About $170.00
  11. TheSniper

TheSniper Projectile Mgr.

Aug 23, 2001
    Anyone playing farcry right now? This game rocks,absolutely blown away by all the detail. I run with a Nvidia FX 5950,and it works great.;f ;c
  12. MGomez81

MGomez81 .

Jun 25, 2003
    I second the 9800, and I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend ...

but don't neglect superior sound. With a good system and subwoofer, you'll be completely immersed!
  13. AZBob

AZBob 0-60 < 2s CLM

Sep 25, 2002
    Chandler, AZ
    I've got just about every new game that's come out in the past six months (LockOn, Battlefield: Vietnam, FarCry, JointOps Demo, etc.), and they all run great on my ATI 9700 with their settings on "high".

The ATI 9800 Pro 128MB version is available at a store here on the west coast for $189. You may be able to find it for a similar price somewhere online. This is an excellent card (better than mine), and for the dollar, it's worth it, considering I paid something like $390 for mine (I bought it the day it came out like 1.5 years ago).
  14. 9800 Pro. New Egg.

You'll love it.
  15. PlethoraGreen

Jan 16, 2002
    Cheyenne, WY
    Care to explain a little more in terms of the specific cards you are referring to... because your statement as it stands implies you don't know very much.

What GeForce 4 card did you buy and what GeForce 3 card were you upgrading from?
  16. podwich

Sep 7, 2000
    If you're looking to get the 9800 Pro, check out ATI's web site at . They're running a promotion where you can get an ATI-manufactured 9800 Pro for $199. You do have to send in any old graphics card though-it can be the one you're using now or some old one you have lying around. There's a $50 deposit on the trade.

You end up getting an ATI 9800 Pro for less than newegg or pricewatch, if it's worth the hassle to you.
  17. Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    Agree, and should be less than $170.00. I spent around $135.00 for my ATI 9600 a few months ago.
  18. AZ-Boog

Apr 19, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Don't be swayed by misleading numbers and fancy boxes. Do some research on video cards before you buy. Try here:

a little homework will avoid a regrettable video card purchase.