close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need a larger S&W J frame Grip

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RiverRatMatt, Dec 31, 2012.

1. RiverRatMatt

RiverRatMatt

Apr 15, 2010
    I love my 642, but I'd like some larger grips. I have Large size hands, but they're not overly meaty - however my fingers are quite long. What I'm looking for is a larger grip that will also increase the distance between the backstrap and the trigger, if that makes sense.

I don't necessarily want or need a laser but if Crimson Trace would be best I'll consider it.

Cheers

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK

3. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
  4. bhk

bhk

Jan 19, 2004
    Altamont has closed-back grips for the 642. Smith and Wesson also has some closed-back synthetic grips. If you are even remotely thinking about getting a laser grip, check out the Crimson Trace 405s. These are closed-back at the top of the grip, increase trigger reach, offer some cushioning from recoil, and offer you laser cabability.

5. snubfan

snubfan Giant Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Omaha
    Try a Hogue Monogrip. It's only $25 so if you don't like it, it's no great loss.(Not my pic BTW)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

Nov 19, 2011
    Kentucky
    I bought the new Hogue Tamer for my Bodyguard. I like it a lot.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Aug 5, 2012
    Get the Pachmayr Compac. It is wider and longer than the standard boot grip. It also has a covered backstrap which reduces recoil and makes the distance to trigger longer. It has totally changed the feel of my S&W 642. With the boot grip I was constantly having to readjust my grip, but with the Compac my grip never changes. The only downside is that it makes the gun harder to pocket carry.

8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/HOGUE-GRP-FRAME-ROUND-BUTT/dp/B00AIV1PVY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1357068208&sr=8-8&keywords=hogue+grips+j+frame"]Amazon.com: HOGUE GRP S&W J FRAME ROUND BUTT: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31090AWNW1L.@@AMEPARAM@@31090AWNW1L[/ame]

Another hogue grip used on mine.

9. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    I like Pachmayr's Compac Grips.
    They completely cover the back-strap and do increase the distance.
    Be advised that this and many larger grips are not good with speed loaders.
    [​IMG]

10. 4Rules

4Rules

Mar 11, 2012
  11. RiverRatMatt

RiverRatMatt

Apr 15, 2010
    I like the looks of some of those Harrett grips but they're a bit expensive to start with (and not be able to try first)

Looks like the Pachmeyr Compac, Hogue Monogrip and Hogue Tamer are the best contenders so far. Anybody tried two of them or all three?

12. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

Jun 11, 2002
    New Mexico & Michigan
    Another vote for Pachmayr Compacs. Can't go wrong

13. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    The Compacs would be the way to go. Going to the Hogue monogrip would work, but kinda blows the whole purpose of having a J frame.

14. RiverRatMatt

RiverRatMatt

Apr 15, 2010
    I think the Monogrip looks a little closer to what I'm looking for. I always carry the gun IWB or OWB so I don't think I'll have trouble concealing it.

That said, if its too big I'll get a Compac.

Cheers for the advice!

15. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Jan 3, 2006
    Humble, TX
    I voted for the Hogue monogrip and I like it. Good fit, good ergonomics!:wavey:

16. RiverRatMatt

RiverRatMatt

Apr 15, 2010
    Update: got the Hogue Monogrip (from their website, price was basically the same as shadier places). Love it. It makes the gun much more comfortable to shoot and more accurate because my trigger finger falls where it should.

Concealability took a very small hit, mainly due to the length. Only would matter if I were to pocket carry.

17. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010
    I also like and use Tyler-T grips and I wear 3XL gloves and larger gloves if I can find them.

RJ

http://www.t-grips.com/TGrips.html

18. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    This. It still allows pocket carry, yet remains thin and has extra cushioning front and back. I recently put one on my 642 and it's a big difference from the stock without turning into an IWB only gun.

[​IMG]

I wear an XL glove and have longer fingers too. The bigger Hogue grips would do if you don't mind altering it's size.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013