close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Need a Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jimfa440, Oct 25, 2012.

1. jimfa440

jimfa440

Oct 24, 2012
    Greeneville, TN
    I'm new to this forum. I have several guns, both long and short, but I don't own a Glock. I have a couple of 9mm pistols and have been reloading 9mm for a number of years. I guess that should steer me to a particular Glock, but I'm still not sure. Any suggestions or guidance?

2. damnyankee20

damnyankee20

Jan 21, 2012
    If your married to 9mm, you have several Glock options depending on your personal preference/fit/application.

I bought Glock 20 (10mm) because I carry and hunt with it. Plus, I can buy dropin conversion barrels so it'll shoot. 357 Sig, 9x25 Dillon, .40S&W, plus the G20 can be modified to shoot .22lr and .50 cal as well. To me, the G20 is not only the most powerful pistol in the world (comes with (2) 15 round clips), but its the most versatile too. But YMMV.

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    The Glock 19 is worshipped and it is probably one of the best choices for a range/carry/home gun. I prefer the Glock 26 for carry and I prefer the Glock 34 for range use and I have some other 9mm non locks. But if I only had one I could certainly see the G19 as a prime choice.

4. dblong

dblong

Oct 22, 2012
    Northern Kentucky
    +1
    Recently bought my first Glock and I chose the 19 cause it covers ccw, range, and HD applications. I don't regret the choice I made for my first Glock. Already thinking about what my second one is going to be :supergrin:

5. Smokin45

Smokin45

Oct 15, 2012
    Dirty Duval, FL
    You cant go wrong with any 9mm Glock, just go fondle a few and see what fits your hand best. My choice is a Gen3 G17

6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Then browse around and look for the MANY threads re: ejection and extraction problems with late model Gen 3 and Gen 4 9mms. Sometimes the discussion moves to other calibers including the 40s and every once in a while to the 45s.

It's worth looking around a bit...

FWIW, my late model Gen 3 G21SF (.45 ACP) works fine. Ejection isn't robust but it is adequate. OTOH, even though I would like to buy a G17 or G34 for IDPA competition, I going to give those a pass. If I decide to compete, I'll use something else.

Richard

7. jimfa440

jimfa440

Oct 24, 2012
    Greeneville, TN
    Home defense, range, some carry.

8. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Apr 23, 2009
    You really just have to pick a size, then. If it is for carry, don't rule out the G26 until you shoot one - the little buggers just work! Between the G19 and the G17, people differ in which they find the most comfortable, I think mostly because the palm swell is different. The only way to decide is to get them in your hands and see what feels good to you.

9. Mister X

Mister X

May 12, 2009
    G17 would be recommendation. I own the 17,19 and 26 and the 17 is by far my favorite. I find the grip on the 19 to be a tad short for me and I hate the grooved trigger as well as where the finger groove humps hit my fingers(my Wife feels the same way despite having much smaller hands).People always recommend the 19 if carry is included in the mix, but the 17 actually still really easy to conceal and most shoot it better than the smaller models.
    The G19 is said to be the best combination and do all model, but I feel it's the ultimate compromise doing nothing all that well and feel if I can conceal a G19,then I can also a G17 and be armed with a gun I like and shoot better. The 19 is an oddball size that really isn't necessary IMO since if you need a real small Glock,the 26 is a better choice. There is no equivelant size S&W M&P or Springfield XD to a Glock 19 and I think that's because it's the worst of all worlds and just simply isn't needed. Kind of like a 3" Revolver.
    You really need to hold and shoot different models though to determine which you like best as it truly is all subjective.

10. mad220860

mad220860

Aug 6, 2012
    Glock 22!! Gives you some real stopping power plus u can get a conversion barrel and shoot 9mm with glock 17mags! 2 guns in 1!!

11. i only own one and its a g36, but the g19 would be high on my list if i wanted a 9mm:cool:

12. burttrans

burttrans

Aug 17, 2012
    I got my first Glock just a couple months ago. Went with the Flat Dark Earth G19 I just was crazy about the look and the G19 seemed like perfect size. I think I will look for my 2nd Glock this winter trying to find a good use G26!

Go with the 19 first you cannot go wrong!

13. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

Jan 26, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I have the 17, 19, & 26. I carry the 26 every day IWB.

As someone else (above) said, don't overlook the 26 until you've shot one. However, since you only intent to carry it "some", I vote for the 19.