Need a bit of help with this one......

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by faawrenchbndr, May 31, 2011.

1. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

As you guys remember, I picked up a late '80's mil-spec last week.
    It's worn, but does not appear abused or neglected. Here's the deal.

When trigger is pulled, it will occasionally, drop the hammer to the "half cocked"
    position. It may do it after three rounds, then may skip ten then may skip five.
    I will be doing a bit of work to this Springer, plan to replace nearly everything but frame, slide, barrel & bushing.

Any clue what the deal may be?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

not enough over-travel.

3. faawrenchbndr

CLM

Hmmm.......I wonder if a flat trigger would cure that?!:whistling:

4. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343591

From the pictures in the thread, it doesn't seem to be touched. The stock trigger on the SA Mil-Spec doesn't have an over travel set screw. Therefore, that's not the cause for it. I suspect this is worse than just that simple fix.

Here are some areas to check:

1) sear/hammer hook engagement that's causing the slip.
    2) disconnector

5. faawrenchbndr

CLM

Correct this mil-spec is bone stock. Stock trigger, no screw.

6. And it looked like the curved MSH was replaced with a flat MSH, so I think some type of "home smithing" was done to the internals for a trigger job...

7. faawrenchbndr

CLM

It's possible,......internals all look like crap.
    I'll just get my parts & pieces together, & fit them per the Kuhnhausen manual

8. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

9. DOH! :cool:

#9 CMG, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  10. faawrenchbndr

CLM

It's got a good bit of natural wear to it. We'll see how long I can manage to
    keep from getting it refinished.

Here's a pic in afternoon light, it REALLY allows the wear to show.

[​IMG]

11. Quack

Quack Rent this space

still could have too little over-travel without an over-travel screw. The grip safety might need to be relieved if it's not travelling far enough back.

if that is working properly, check your sear spring. might not have enough tension on the center spring.

another thing to check is the disconnector interface with the sear feet.

in the last image below, you can see how the grip safety is notched, which could cause a problem.

[​IMG]

12. I am guessing, if the trigger feels light, someone tried to do a trigger job on it. I would skip the diagnosis and order a Cylinder and Slide action kit -- you may need a pro to tweak it, but you may get lucky and have a great trigger right out of the box. Or, send it to Springfield they do great work for their customers, and, last time I checked, they do re-blueing on 1911's at a very reasonable rate.

13. faawrenchbndr

CLM

Trigger seems to be around 5 pounds. Reset is weird, sometimes it seems to have
    a stepped reset. Tip of the disconnecter seems rather dull, very little point to it.

14. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

I dont know to much about 1911's yet so please just take this with a grain of salt. Could it be a safety malfunction. I know I read some where my RIA if dropped cocked it has a safety that should stop the hammer from falling all the way forward. It will keep it half cocked. Once more I am pretty green just throwing out something I read. ​

15. hummm. 5 lbs should be pretty good. I wonder if they messed with the MS at all. Does the flat MSH a SA component that has the ILS in place, or is it an aftermarket housing? If aftermarket, he might have mixed the internals and used a shorter MS from the ILS with the new housing.

The tip of the disco doesn't affect the engagement. A round tip will help to ease the drag of the slide. The disco's feet and sear area is the concern.

16. The gun is doing just that, getting caught on the half cock notch, after it slips the sear.

17. faawrenchbndr

CLM

The MSH looks to be one of the old Pachmayr rubber coated one.
    It does look as if the disco could have been messed with.

At this point,......I think I'll get the slide and frame cleaned up, and order some parts.

18. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

#18 polizei1, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  19. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Didn't you once tell me to never buy a used 1911 ? :whistling:

20. faawrenchbndr

CLM

Shut up Randy,..........:tongueout: