close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Neck knives?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by rygleason, Feb 28, 2013.

1. rygleason

rygleason

Nov 17, 2005
    Colorado
    What do you all carry for daily neck knives?

I have an ESEE candiru with custom kydex sheath from 710customsheaths. Was thinking about picking up a brous silent soldier as well.....

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx

3. CRKT Folts Minimalist Tanto. It's on a simple ball chain covered with the outer mantle from some paracord.

I don't have a picture of my own, but here is one from Optics Planet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. glock_collector

glock_collector

Dec 23, 2011
    Never carried like this...dumb question, 100% serious. If you have a rope/cord around your neck with a sheath hanging from it, dont ya worry about in a tussle someone getting ahold of the cord and using it as leverage/ easy choke hold? In a street fight I use whatever is handy...

5. I do.

That's why I use the crappy ball chain instead of actual paracord or other, better material. The ball chain easily breaks free, I've tested it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX AZ
    I have a minimalist wharencliffe, but it's not part of my edc small light inexpensive and it comes with a holster

[​IMG]

7. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I love the minimalist and SPEW designs, but I couldn't keep the cheap steel sharp for more than a few cuts. Would love to get one of the original customs in a good steel though.

8. Take a piece of paracord the length of your chain and remove the inner core. Then thread the beaded chain into the parachord sheath. A stich at both ends keeps the cord from contracting and exposing the chain. The end result is a comfortable neck-knife carrier having the same safety feature of a bare beaded chain.

9. That is exactly what I did, but you explained it better than I did in my first post, :) I just melted the ends a little with a lighter, btw. Much quicker.

10. Well, since this a purely last ditch SD "get away from me" knife, I'm not to worried about it staying sharp for more than a few cuts.

For daily EDC I have a CRKT Zilla-Tool and a BM 710 (D2 steel on that one!)

11. seed

seed

Aug 3, 2004
    I was told that wearing a neck knife under your shirt (concealed) was illegal. Is that true in any or all states?...Kalifornia, for instance?

12. CanMan

CanMan Silver Member

Jun 15, 2012
    in flagrante
    It is in my state... carrying a fixed blade is a no no regardless of how the knife is carried.

I like to collect knives, some I can't carry. :crying:

13. Mr. Blandings

Mr. Blandings

Jun 20, 2001
    Florida
    The answer depends on the laws/ordinances of the specific jurisdiction where you may be standing at any given moment. Each state has different laws on the subject of carrying/concealing knives. In some states, local counties or municipalities may have their own ordinances in addition to the state law. Federal law covers carrying in certain specified location such as federal workplaces and airports.

Your question indicates you may lack a basic understanding of the entire issue of carrying a knife and the many legal issues that can spring up from doing so, but you are asking so that is a good start. Following are several websites that contain a wealth of information regarding knife laws:

Bernard Levine's Guide to knife laws.

A chart format guide to the knife laws of the states , includes some case law citations. Originally published on The Highroad forums.

Ebladestore.com's knife law summary. Has an informative essay at the beginning. Appears to use Levine's summaries.

handgunlaw.us knife law summaries (displays in .pdf format). Includes some individual municipality citations.

Kniferights.org: the NRA of the knife-world. This organization has already saved our blade carrying bacon, and continues to make very positive change happen.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  14. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I have the ESEE Izula. I modified the case because I thought it was too bulky. I also added the para cord handle and on the case. I don't carry it on my person often (usually in a backpack that I do take my work stuff in). However I do carry it when I go hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  15. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    I got really lucky and found a used Spyderco SPOT at a gun show. I consider it to be the perfect neck knife!

[​IMG]

16. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Not true in Kentucky, with a CCW or if it's a "hunting knife" under your shirt.

But...people have "daily carry" neck knives?:rofl::rofl: Do any of you work for the CIA or maybe the OSS?:rofl:

18. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    I just don't find neck knives a convenient way to carry a knife but I do appreciated the weight and size of some of the small fixed blades. The Izula is great example.

I want the ability to quickly deploy AND re-deploy a knife with one hand. That just doesn't happen when carried around the neck.

19. When I was younger I was given the following advice by a friend's father who was a detective for many years with lots of undercover experience:

"Always carry three knives. One to use for regular cutting stuff open like boxes, one for fighting, and one that nobody knows about. A secret knife can save your life."

Anyway, that always stuck with me.

20. rygleason

rygleason

Nov 17, 2005
    Colorado
    And of course with those 3 blades----- a handgun! I am from the same line of thought brother.