close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

NC, Paperweight Build Partys?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by GunLoverLiberty, Dec 22, 2012.

1. GunLoverLiberty

GunLoverLiberty

Mar 6, 2012
    I was reading online that they've had building party's this year in CA where a CNC machine was donated to finish an 80% paperweight for personal use.

Thread here
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/577330_.html

I'm wondering if there is more talk of an AWB and legislation starts to get underway if anyone would be interested in doing this in NC area.

From what I've researched it's very much legal and the user is the one who will be operating the machine and manipulating everything.

The CNC is just there to make the job faster (8 minute build time)

With the price of stripped lowers going over 300$ due to demand, there is very little supply for gun loving Americans.

The paperweights can be bought for very little cost, Around 80$. So this is actually getting to be a viable option.

Of course this is just hypothetical and all laws need to be researched.
    I am in no way endorsing that this is legal and this isn't legal advice.

Let me know your opinion on this topic.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Well I'd say the BATF would probably be very upset if people are building rifles with out S/N's! But what do I know! Plus I'm sure they will be unleashed on us gun owners in the next few years if they go ahead on the a new ban . They've been itching to go kick in doors on gunowners in America for years! And you as a gun owner-not a manufacture cant put S/N's on guns cause then you become a manufacturer! They'd want there money(taxes) and license fee's! Just saying!:whistling:

3. GunLoverLiberty

GunLoverLiberty

Mar 6, 2012
    Well I've read they don't need a S/N. those are only for manufacturers to keep track of how many they've made and such.

Also there isn't any record when you buy a gun. Not a national database or anything. The seller just keeps a log in case they need to help investigators.

Thats why Face to Face selling is legal without paperwork.
    It's our inalienable rights to have free trade and freedom to own firearms.

If you make it for personal use it doesn't need to have any markings
    edit: You would be making for personal use and never intend to trade or sell it afterwards. Because you're not a licensed firearms manufacturer.

4. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    Any firearm made for personal use, not to EVER be sold, doesn't require a S/N.

And I've been wondering the same thing about a build party in NC. So, if you find one, please post it up. We've got quite a few NC'ers in here.

5. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Wow. Someone needs a drink..... or a Xanax.... maybe both.

I'd love for something like this to happen locally. From what I understand it's completely legal so long as nobody has the intention of selling it.

6. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    I could be wrong, but I believe that, with non-serial-numbered guns, the prohibition goes beyond sales, and bars transfers of any sort. No giving it to a friend for free, no willing it to your kids when you die.

7. GunLoverLiberty

GunLoverLiberty

Mar 6, 2012
    Thats fine with me. I don't have any kids and It would only be for learning purposes and do it yourself.

Plus if the prices keep up we could save some money.

If anyone has a milling machine and wants to host a party lets get to work and put in some cash for a group buy.

The more paperweights you order the cheaper they are.

edit:
    http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/TACMHL15

Here are some 80% finished and anodized ready to be finished.
    Price is 90$ each or 80$ for plain aluminum.

Ships right to your door!

8. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I'd be game for it. If it happens definitely keep me in the loop.

9. GunLoverLiberty

GunLoverLiberty

Mar 6, 2012
    I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm going to cross post this info on the AR15 forums and try to gather up someone who has a CNC connection whos a firearms enthusiast.

It would be a great way to help the community and feel good about it too.

If this legislation materializes, we need to get supply before it runs out. and pumping out a bunch of lowers sounds like a good idea.

10. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    They have them every week here. I'm not into the 80% lower thing but some of my friends have done them.

11. GunLoverLiberty

GunLoverLiberty

Mar 6, 2012
    Here in NC we are having a gun panic. I went down to Hyatts yesterday and the only thing left was a 6,000 dollar AR-10.

People are buying like crazy here & if we are going to see an AWB bill come into effect, we need to have some more lowers made for personal use.

This is just insane that a common part like a lower would be selling for hundreds of dollars.

I guess time will tell what happens. I am wishing for the best.

12. nursetim

nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    This is about North Carolina right? If so then the above bold script is illegal in that most gun friendly of states. Maybe the new governor will help the good gun owners of NC.

13. GunLoverLiberty

GunLoverLiberty

Mar 6, 2012
    I said the laws needed to be researched but I've seen people on armslist who sell FTF all the time and only show Id's

I don't know the legality of it, but they're doing it here.

14. In NC, the seller of a handgun must either collect a pistol permit or copy the buyer's CHL. This is not required for long gun private party sales.

Still, I get the feeling that many more NC private handgun transactions happen without a pistol permit than with.

ETA: I'd love to machine my own lower just to have one that I made myself.

15. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Its the same out here.

16. mrvtwin80

mrvtwin80

Nov 22, 2012
    With the lower receivers being unattainable lately I've been studying the procedure on converting the 80% percent receivers. They can be done with a set of jigs and a drill press also, there are lots of how to videos on YouTube that cover this.

17. GunLoverLiberty

GunLoverLiberty

Mar 6, 2012
    Yes except the jigs are 100's of dollars and wear out because you're essentially using them as a guide while you reem the drill across it.

The whole point of using a CNC is that the specs can be uploaded from a file and it's easier than a milling machine or drill press.

I guess if stuff gets really bad then it would be the only option left (using a drill press)

18. Leper

Leper

Dec 16, 2012
    Their is an exception for law enforcement. They still run the check but are only required to obtain a copy of the officer's credential and driver's license.

19. GunLoverLiberty

GunLoverLiberty

Mar 6, 2012
    I found a build of a guy who used only hand tools to finish one.

Didn't even use a drill press.

I'm not advocating that anyone do this because it's probably not reliable but it is still a rifle & In an emergency you could have something rather than nothing.

http://mujahadeenar15a2.tripod.com/

Edit: Also want to add that the lower he completed was more like 50%

The newer ones for sale have all the holes pre-drilled and tapped, minus the fire control group and associated pins.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  20. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Not true. It is not illegal to have or transfer a gun without a serial number on it. Many guns prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 did not have serial numbers on them and are fully transferable.

In regard to making guns you just can't make them as a business venture without the proper licenses. Besides, without a number how would anyone know who made it or where it came from? Which is of course the point of making one. No trace of you having it, right?

For those who weren't around during the last AWB. guns, parts, uppers, and lowers did not disappear. In fact after the first couple months of hysteria and panic buying and after production caught up with demand, prices fell to about what they were just before this latest panic.

The problem during the last ban wasn't guns, ARs, AKs etc were plentiful and fairly cheap. They just couldn't be made with flash hiders and bayonet lugs. The problem was hi-cap mags.

Oh, and build parties were fairly common. In fact even now many cities have shops that rent out their facilities/machines just for people to finish off lowers. They are all set up and ready to go. You walk in, pay your $30. The guy there simply walks you through the setup and what buttons to push. They know what they are doing and so does the ATF. Completely legal and above board.

My advice is just wait a couple months until the hysteria and anti-gun rhetoric dies down. Even if another ban is passed it is going to be long and hard fought battle.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012