close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Navy Slow to Embrace Armed Drones

Discussion in 'US Navy Forum' started by Blitzer, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Navy = ancient history lessons that aren't even Germain = stalling changes and making excuses :steamed:

It is about the loss of "control"! :upeyes:

"The Navy developed its first unmanned combat aircraft in the 1950s and 1960s. But the Drone Anti-Submarine Helicopter, which operated off destroyers and frigates, was plagued by accidents and pilot error, and half were lost."

2. VAshooter

VAshooter CLM

Feb 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    When the Navy dropped the DASH Program they sold the drones to the Germans. Other than that, nothing.

There was nothing wrong with the DASH Program. Yes, they lost some drones but many of the destroyer skippers wouldn't let the crews fly enough to stay in practice. Many of the crews didn't pull the required operational checks to make sure they were flight worthy. The destroyer skippers wanted a real helo so that they could fly over to the carrier and suck up to the Admiral. They didn't see the DASH as helping their promotional chances.

I worked on those drones and we flew the **** ot of them in Vietnam chasing small boats and such. If I could have found a couple Ma Deuces to mount on the drone we would have been the terror of the South China Sea.

Did you know you could sink a small boat with a gallon can of hydrolic fluid by dropping it from a couple hundred feet.

3. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    Germain? :rofl:

Seriously, I wouldn't trust a single word published by the Associated Press.

I would also like to know what a Navy pilot would have to say about the feasibility of landing these drones on a carrier deck. My guess would be that there are some lag time/response time issues that perhaps weren't discussed, or (more likely) were ignored by the leftist urinalist responsible for this hit piece on the Navy.

There are some Navy/Marine Corps jet-jocks on this board; maybe one or more of them will chime in, but as far as I'm concerned, the needs and missions of the Navy are different than those of the Air Force, and this particular MSM hit piece seems to want to gloss over those glaring differences.

4. VAshooter

VAshooter CLM

Feb 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I agree 100 percent about the AP.

If you can land a drone helo on a pitching destroyer deck, a carrier is a piece of cake.

Actually they tried to use pilots to fly the drones and they couldn't do it because they got disoriented standing on the ground and watching the helo in the air. They kept trying to fly it as if they were sitting in the drone.

The drone was cheap compared to an airplane. The drone cost $100,000 ready to fly while the torpedoes we carried were over a million a piece. The Navy's attitude was if you dropped a million dollar weapon and killed a $500,000,000 submarine, they didn't really care whether you got the drone back or not.

As far as the Navy lagging behind, who else was flying offensive drones in 1960?

5. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

May 13, 2007
    S.E. Pa

The navy hates them since they bombed Pearl Harbor.

6. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    I just keep thinking about the army drones that we had flying in Iraq. Every few days, they would come out with a new piece of "intelligence" that they wanted us to investigate. The rocket tubes in a field were actually irrigation pipes. The farmer burying an IED was actually digging an irrigation ditch. The pickup with an IED in the back was never at the house they told us it was.

Basically, we wasted ridiculous amounts of time chasing down these false leads, sometimes stopping productive missions to do so. We received ZERO usable intelligence from these drones in our entire tour.

So, I have some sympathy for the Navy. Do drone operators really get a good feel for the battlefield? Can we really trust their judgment?