close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Navy Corpmen

Discussion in 'The US Marine Corps Forum' started by cessnastud, Aug 13, 2006.

1. whenmonkeysfly

whenmonkeysfly
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

I was a Navy Corpsman from '71 to '75. No combat, but worked a lot of trauma in an emergency room and operating room. I joined because my draft number was #2 and #6 and I wanted a choice of Rating/MOS. I have a tremendous respect for our U.S. Marines. I was stationed with the Marines for a little over a year at Quantico, VA and worked with a lot of wounded Marines coming back from Vietnam. I now work for the Veterans Administration in Outpatient Psychiatry, LCSW - Therapist/Counselor - working with a number of vets suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and/or related problems. A few of the Corpsman I work with that served in Vietnam chose a shotgun and/or .45... some were so scared they picked-up all the weapons they could carry... for a while...then they learned to do what needed to be done, and would do it all over again.... (Most of the guys I work with were/are "southern, country boys" - grew-up with guns.) Anyway, you guys be safe... I guess I just really wanted to say I appreciate all you do!!! I support you 100%! I also think this thing in Iraq sure smells a lot like Vietnam, just in a different part of the world. I guess I just don't see it quite like some of our politicians.... Semper Fi :thumbsup:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. killjoy25

killjoy25
    Expand Collapse

They wear the same cammies but they say US Navy on them.

I was a Cryptologic Technician and got out 3 years ago.

3. USMC Scout Dog

USMC Scout Dog
    Expand Collapse

I walked point with a Marine Scout Dog in Vietnam for 13 months. I landed in Danang 3 days before the start of the Tet offensive in 1968. Some of my heros in life are Corpsman. I could not care less what gun/rifle they may carry. Simply know this: When your dick is on the deck and you need help, a Corpsman will be there - every time! I watched them give their lives so Marines could live. No greater love have I ever known. They are exceptional men. I honor them. I admire them. They are the reason so many Marines are alive today, and the reason so many Marines will continue to survive. Simper Fi.

4. reconvic

reconvic
    Expand Collapse
    Recon Marine

I did 2 tours in the Nam with 1st Recon battalion and trust me back then, our Corpsman carried a M-16 at all times. I cannot speak for what goes down now, but the Corpsman were very well respected and was as much a Marine as any on out team.
    S.F.Vic:thumbsup:

5. RM

RM
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

My docs in OIF I carried shotguns and pistols, in OIF III the docs I was around never left the FOB so they had M9s, in OIF V my doc carried a carbine and a pistol.

When we moved to provisional rifle duty in OIF I, the docs gave up their shotguns and carried A2s because the shot guns were starting to be used to breach doors.

The GCE board of 03, initially planned on most M9s barriers at BN and lower level to have a Carbine vice a pistol.

I know the SARC type Corpsmen often carried para-SAWs.