Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

National Politics and Cops - What's Important?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by RussP, Aug 13, 2011.

1. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    What are the issues we non-LEOs should look for, what are the hot buttons we need to push to identify and elect Representatives, Senators and a President who will benefit Law Enforcement the most?

Yeah, I LOVE to ask questions!! :cool:

Seriously, what's needed.
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    Everyone has an opinion but I bet no one has an answer.

I've reached the point of total apathy. Who gives a ****? One is the same as the next, all a bunch of self serving *******s who make promises to get elected and then turn their backs on their electorate for four years.

Honeslty, the best candidates to help LE are found at local levels, not state or national.

3. trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    Someone that will put quality people on the bench. The process of selecting Judges and nominating them to the bench is one of the most important things the President does and its effects are felt long after they have left office. I won't get into the political stuff here since we have a forum for that.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Ah, hell, I knew someone was going to say that, BUT, didn't expect it so soon...:cool:

MeefZaw, other than just keeping their promises, what would be one thing at a national level that an elected Representative could do that would influence those local politicians into providing you a better work environment?
  5. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    The discussion of political issues that directly affect Law Enforcement belongs here.
  6. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    I think the biggest problem we face day to day revolves around the judges. Disregarding the law, making it up as they go, and general inconsistency. It seems as though every case going to trial takes at least three court dates. The first is always a continuance because the offender decides it would be a good time to apply for a court appointed attorney, even if it is a slam dunk like a DUS on video.

The only favorable thing I have in my county is that when there is a plea bargain, the charge does not get dropped to lesser included offense.

Perhaps secondly, would be the almost total refusal of agencies to change, even if it means systematic injuries to their employees. For instance, this is demonstrated repeatedly by refusal to address things like updating uniforms to reduce back injury, but any LEO/CO can objectively look at one of their agency, and know that a slight change would be beneficial.
  7. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    At the national level? I do not have an answer to that.
  8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Secure borders. Support for the citizen's RKBA. That's all that comes to mind; as said, most LE issues are local.

I'd include a commitment to get judicial appointments to the floor, but you just said "Representative".
  9. Any Republican from the South, will be better than any Democrat from the North, East, or West for all people, and Law Enforcement. But some never get it.
  10. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Apr 30, 2000
    Lexington, KY
    Like others have said judicial appointments are the most important issue affecting law enforcement at the national or Federal level. IMO, that means vote for Republicans. I guess border security would be the second most important issue.

The rest gets sorted out (as it should) at the state and local level.
  11. More specifically, vote for Republicans whose last name is not Bush.
  12. Picking a conservative over a liberal is a big part.

Liberals only want a set agenda for themself, a conservative wants equal treatment for all and are willing to work things out fair.

Liberals will say ban guns. Conservatives will say enforce current laws.
  13. Heck, I would vote for Bush again after this last clown.

I hope it is Obama vs Perry in Nov 2012. Gun rights, jobs, taxes, Law Enforcement, Military, will all get the support and attention they need.
  14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Pick someone who will uphold the Constitution. All else will fall into place. Unfortunately, that is no longer something that most politicians can be counted on to do.
  15. ronduke

Jan 24, 2007
    For how long did various cop groups try to get HR 216 passed? Does anybody think that Obama would have signed this? Bush did.

I believe that one of the longest lasting impacts that a president makes, is who he puts on the U. S. Supreme Court. We have had a number of important cases decided on a 5 to 4 vote.

Off the top of my head, for example, the USSC upheld officers being able to arrest on class c (traffic tickets). They upheld officers being able to chase cars. There are plenty of others, I just can't remember them now. Look at who the democrats put on the USSC and look at how their decisions undermine common sense.
  16. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    Balance the friggin Budget first above all else, going 4 straight years with no raises, and increasing health insurance costs is killing us.......
  17. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Rick Perry FTMFW!
  18. siblueg

siblueg Gray Area

Feb 11, 2008
    Can you explain what Rick Perry has to offer? I'm a little unfamiliar with him.
  19. ArizonaPhil

Jul 8, 2011
    Sunny Arizona
    Those of you recommending vote Republican or Democrat based upon only a few issues are giving you uneducated advice.

Truth is you should recognize both parties for being the liars that they are. Each comes with a dose of good and a dose of bad. You need to study each candidate and determine which one you can stomach the longest.

Allow me to explain:
    Here in Arizona if you vote Repugnant you will get pro-gun, anti-abortion, and pro-military. They will even claim pro law enforcement. However, I have a hard time calling them pro LE when they are seeking to balance the State budget on our backs. The State Repugnants just passed law that requires me to pay an additional 5% of my salary into the pension while the State and local agencies get to cut 5% from their contributions. Additionally, my health insurance costs are going up (to the tune of $150 more per pay check and we are on a bi-monthly pay system). Did I mention that our salaries have been reduced and our merit increases frozen for the last three years due to the poor economy?

You are also well aware of the Repugnants stance on illegal immigration. In AZ it is a mandate on State and local LE to arrest and book anyone who is an IA. That is all fine and dandy however, when you consider that most if not all LE agencies in AZ have shrunk (mine lost almost 10% of manpower over the last two years, that is to say we have fewer officers to handle the crimes we already have before us) and realize that your community has to pay the fee for investigation, arrest, booking, court fees, and transfer to ICE which in my City is an estimated cost of $1700 per Illegal Alien, it becomes a pretty expensive bill, especially when the alien was only mowing someone’s lawn or putting stucco on a house. I’d be okay with it all if it wasn’t in vain. You see the boarder is not secure. So we go through all that, bearing the financial burden only to have the IA back in your City three weeks later. I compare it to using a bucket to scoop water out your sinking boat without first plugging the hole. You’re still going to sink; you will just be tired when it happens.

On the other side of the coin, the Dipocrates will try to outlaw all your guns (an obvious violation of the Constitution) and legalize all drugs (do I really need to explain the downward spiral of society when that happens). They do want to jack up your taxes every time you turn around which is no fun either. On the bright side, they are pro-labor which if you are in LE you really ought to be pro-labor, because you are in fact labor.
  20. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    I prefer Rick Parry.

A for America. A for IowA.