close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

National Emergency - Net is shut off, no Twitter...

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by ArmoryDoc, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc
    Expand Collapse

Have you thought about a possibility of the .gov's impending action to throw the public into the information dark ages ?

Let's say the OWS is just the beginning. Let's say it picks up steam this spring and other groups become active and take to the streets in protest of fuel prices, lack of jobs, No unemployment benefit extensions, food prices, etc. Let's say some major cities become gridlocked from the protests by the disenfranchised public and the .gov reacts with National Guard and Federal Troops policing the streets. Let's say George Soros is right, and it gets bloody, with the .gov overreacting with overly harsh responses to the rioting here in the US.

It seems the popular thing to do anymore is kill the net. Look at the actions in Greece, Libya, Syria and other places where the government was quick to kill the news supply and comms. The public is using FB, Twitter and other venues to organize and gather news on unfolding events and to organize the masses. If it escalates here, cell phone service may be interrupted in affected locations to disrupt phone tree's, as well as cable and satellite services through the acute disruption period and of course FB, Twitter and online news sources may be blocked or shut off completely. After all, the .gov has been pushing for total control of the net in the event of National Emergency.

Question is, if it gets this serious, what are you gonna do ? Is this "the line" for many of you ? I don't expect some will answer, which is fine. But for those of you comfortable enough to answer, what would be your plan if it gets this tense out there ? Is it time to reign in the wife and kids and get ready for spillover ?

I wonder myself with all the worlds events and the troubles people are facing here at home. They say we're only three meals away from an uncivilized society and with unemployment like it is and benefits running out, are we getting close to that third meal ? What will you do if we enter a "blackout period" ?

Thoughts ?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. G19freak

G19freak
    Expand Collapse

Grill some burgers and load magazines

3. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Get a better night's sleep.

j/k - sort of.

While I think a blackout is possible, I would expect that a lot more would have our attention at that point. For the government to embark on that path, we would have a national situation where an information blackout would be deemed a benefit that outweighs the subsequent fall out from such an extreme action. Therefore I would expect 'the line' would already be crossed for most of us here and we would be in emergency mode already.

4. Mister Clean

Mister Clean
    Expand Collapse

Simple solution.

Use my HAM radio and SOLAR/battery system to communicate with others --- and --- to keep in touch with local, national and world events. Why wait? I use my HAM radio every day already. No need to wait until the last minute to learn how to use it.

http://www.arrl.org/ares

http://ares.org/groups/mars/index.htm

http://www.winlink.org/

http://www.aprs.org/

NOTICE: I will not use a gasoline powered backup generator because I do not want people to be able to "HEAR" that I have a backup power supply. I have enough storage batteries that I can go for more than a week without needing to recharge them via my solar panels. Also note that my solar panels and storage batteries are "portable". My Ham radio(s) and radio antenna(s) are also "portable".

#4 Mister Clean, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

Well I guess your answer would depend on what is going on to cause the government to black out the communications. Taken to extremes for the sake of arguement:

1) A conservative president, house and sentate are in office and OWS and the labor movement are using flashmobs to rob stores aka "Robin Hood" all day long all over the country and people are being hurt as well as stolen from.

2) A liberal president, house and senate are in office all 3 in a lame duck session declare marshall law, mandatory gun turn in programs and nullify the last election deciding to stay in power for "The good of the people."

Personally I am not for blocking technology in either case, people will find a way around it... but I would not be put out about 1) and would be upset about 2).

BTW I am looking for more flash mobs this summer in the big cities, once it's rolling it should be interesting to see how they put a stop to it. There was a lot of that just last year, these are interesting times.

6. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

Ham radio.

Shortwave.

Local radio. TV.

Not everything depends solely on the Net.

7. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric
    Expand Collapse
    .45 ACP

GT is my only social website that I go to. I don't go on facebook, twitter, or myspace.

I don't trust MSM. I only read Drurdgereport.com. If the MSM decides to black out then I'll be very happy because people will have to do their homework instead being told to believe into something.

Anyway, if all of those things go out. I will be more happier than ever because that is what we need for many years. I'll read my books, pray, plant the foods, cherish my wife, and to practice with my firearms; while things are out of control.

8. Mister Clean

Mister Clean
    Expand Collapse

Good answer!
    Very succinct, too.

9. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye
    Expand Collapse

Make sure the horse is well fed and get the saddle bags emptied ready to carry the news.

10. Mister Clean

Mister Clean
    Expand Collapse

11. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman
    Expand Collapse
    a.k.a. DaReaper

If Facebook goes down, my wife will have a FIT. I can see her phone getting thrown against a wall in frustration. :upeyes:

If gas gets over $5/gallon, I may be riding my horse to work every day. That's gonna make for a LOOOOONG 50mi round trip. :faint:

12. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric
    Expand Collapse
    .45 ACP

It will improve your health in a great degree. Your legs will be alike to horse's legs. :)

I'll do the same and I brought several spares for my bicycle's tire tubes.

13. GlockNevada

GlockNevada
    Expand Collapse

I think the cellphones would be the very last thing to go. Too easy to keep track of everyone with them ;)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. AimZeroed

AimZeroed
    Expand Collapse

This is a good thread. Often wondered what I would do if deprived of the net. Of course I would be ok but it is definitely survival mode time. The net is a must for food and product distribution as well as all financial transactions (most anyway). But if it is just certain communicative websites I am not worried. I don't use those things either, not even facebook. But it would be a time of high readiness to see which way the wind blows.

15. pugman

pugman
    Expand Collapse

The action of the federal government to kill the net would be the equivalent of saying please come set the White House on fire...

While I agree the government's only concern during any real emergency is 1) How can we maintain control or 2) Give the perception we are maintaining control and 3) after all this SHTF nonsense is done how can we get back in control targeting a full net shutdown in this country would be very dangerous.

I can definitely see them targeting sites but do people realize how much is done on the web now? Kill the web for any length of time and this recession will be sparked into a full blown depression. E-commerce? I pay my bills on line...I receive all my bills on line....my credit card transactions are processed via the web, etc. Yes, killing the net would severly limit news transfer in this county for a period of time while it gets transformed back to the dark ages of paper and TV but I think the government would be shocked at the backlash...think Greece

The one thing I don't know is how it would affect the cellular network. Wired magazine wrote a recent add showing total net traffic between peers is on the decline - it peeked in 2005 and is now down to 23% of web traffic (the lion share of total web traffic now is video content at 51%). Peer to peer contact is primarily done now through simpler sleeker service....aka apps. You don't need the web to access and use facebook, twitter or any of that social garbage. Facebook doesn't sit on the net...the net is the doorway to it. Facebook sits on a server.

Now, if the government were to decide to turn off the cellular network...then its time to hit the streets in force...

16. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5
    Expand Collapse

Local FM radio.

Regional AM radio.

Ham radio.

Shortwave (maybe.)

And of course, Outdoor Hub's uber-secret prepcomm Chevy network.

17. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Scanners.'08.

18. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman
    Expand Collapse
    a.k.a. DaReaper

You haven't seen my horse. I wouldn't be able to walk for days. She's like riding a 55 gallon drum...

19. John Rambo

John Rambo
    Expand Collapse
    Raven

So, how does one 'kill the net'?

Can you point me to the power switch for the net? Does it look anything like this?
    [​IMG]

20. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

.Gov has been seizing/shutting down sites left and right.'08.