close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

National Anthem Banned at Mennonite College's Sporting Events

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by HerrGlock, Jun 8, 2011.

1. The Machinist

The Machinist No Compromise

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
  2. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Patron

Feb 24, 2000
    Richmond, Virginia
    So? Is this a great country or what.

The Mennonites I know are about as peace-loving as the Amish.

I can just see them belting out a tune about the rocket's red glare, bombs bursting in air, etc. Not.

3. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    AKA: The losing strategy.

4. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

They're Amish-Lite. Mennonites broke away from the Amish because they didn't see the harm in using modern technology. Otherwise there's little difference.

5. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Apr 24, 2008
    Northwest Louisiana
    I'm surprised they ever sang the National Anthem. The Mennonites (followers of Anabaptist Menno Simons) have always been pacifistic separatist. They have always defined classic separation of church and state. Mennonites have historically shunned participation in secular civic activities. The Amish (followers of the teachings of Jacob Amman) broke away from them 450 years ago because they felt the Mennonites had compromised with worldliness too much.

6. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    compassionate peacemaking vs. violent thug........let me know how that works out for ya!!!!

7. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Sláinte !

Apr 30, 2004
    I know where my kids are not going to school.

8. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    I always heard that every Amish woman's dream was to have two Mennonite. :whistling:

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I grew up a Mennonite. The folk I grew up around I have NO desire to be around ever again. They wasn't kool folk at all:alex::faint:

10. robertoh

robertoh

Oct 28, 2004
    Ohio
    My Grandson graduated this May from a Mennonite run College,and at the start of the ceremony everyone sang the National Anthem. The National Anthem is not a requirement for any and all public or political functions.

11. Mennonites are Amish wimps who need air conditioning and station wagons.

12. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    From experience, Mennonites are fine people. Of course there are exceptions. But from experience, they are fine folks. I do not agree with their not playing the National Anthem. And I do not endorse their particular understanding of pacifism. Compassionate peacemaking would be of limited practical utility for resolving international conflict. But then, armed response has only produced mixed results.

13. RichardB

RichardB Silver Member

Jul 29, 2007
    NC
    "Professor Blosser disputed any notion the college is anti-American.

“This is not an anti-patriotic thing,” he said. “It does not make us communist just because we take a stand against that particular point of view. As an educated person, I don’t always stand where the government takes a stand.”"

Their church, their rules is the American way.