close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

nasty virus

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by southernshooter, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Picked up a nasty today. Called winpcdefender. Google says it is a fake spyware service. Has huge popups that can't be deleted. Ran malwarebits-couldn't see it, ran avast-couldn't see it. Downloaded hijackthis-killed it. Thank goodness. Thought I was going to have to buy spyware doctor or some other at @$29.95 every 6 months.

2. RDW

RDW BTDT

Mar 12, 2003
    PRK
    Stay away from those Pr0n sites; future problems solved.

3. DSMonsta

DSMonsta Linux Pimp

Oct 5, 2004
    Northampton County, PA
    That'd be giving in to the enemy and is not an option.

Try using a healthy pc to burn avast to a dvd and run it from there. If that fails it may be time to reformat. Luckily I happen to know of a free operating system that's just about immune to viruses.

http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-7818en.html

This site also has a manual removal instructions although I don't put a lot of faith in them.

4. As I posted, ran Avast first, said "nothing found"Hijack this got rid of it, don't need to reformat. This either came from Ancestry.com or an email.

5. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    No, whole different theory of operation.
    *nix systems differentiate between data and executable. Windows doesn't. Thus anything you download is data and not executable unless you actually set the execute it and run it.
    I could send you an attachment and say "here, download this and then set the executable bit and then run it and I will wipe your system".
    1) Why would you do that.
    2) You can only delete YOUR files not system files as you don't have permission.

6. JK-linux

JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    I was being a smarty pants. Kidding aside though, that's probably the best and cleanest explaination I've seen articulated.
    +1 for Linux3

7. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    +2 :wavey:

8. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    I would run combofix. I can all but gurantee there is still remnants of it or something else still running that hijackthis doesn't see.