close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Name that car, part II

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    Qvale Mangusta. What a turd.

2. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Aug 18, 2010
    TX
    Darnit. I thought that one was rare enough (and ugly enough) that nobody would know/care :faint:

3. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

Mar 13, 2006
    Susquehanna Valley, PA
    Qvale Mangusta

Now the original De Tomaso Mangusta and De Tomaso Pantera are awesome cars and i would love one.

4. Rabbi

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    In general, you are going to have to get pretty obscure to "get me." Outside of one offs (and not many of them) if it was made and sold through a dealer network, the chances are high I will know it.

....you are going to have to get biblical, like finding Moses car to "get" Bill...and even then, he probably did the first oil change in the thing and had to chisel the new tires for it out of Jerusalem stone himself!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  5. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

Mar 10, 2002
    dallas, tx
    The problem with the 220 is finding one that actually runs. I put a clutch in ours. couldn't depend on it to run, had heating issues.

Sure is sexy looking, though. Nothing wrong with that aa v-12 wouldn't cure.

6. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

Mar 13, 2006
    Susquehanna Valley, PA
    There have been hundreds and hundreds of British car company's. Most of the common makes people would know, but there are some really obscure ones out there.

7. Bill Powell

Mar 10, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I'm so old I remember when sand was still a rock.

8. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Apr 24, 2011
    PRONJ
    OK, I was wrong. But, it's ugly for a Ferrari. And that color - yech.

9. JMS

JMS 02

May 6, 2007
    True, the wheels also gave it away. It looked more like a 360 mashup than anything else. Woof.

If you look carefully you can also the the Pininfarina badge on the side.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  10. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

So Bill, you may be the one person who knows obscure enough car history (this is a compliment) to shed some light on a debate.

It is claimed that Ferarri stole the "prancing horse" for Stuttgart (Porsche). It is claimed that the during the war, there was a german plane shot down and the pilot somehow had a flag/emblem from Stuttgart

[​IMG]

Stuttgart had used the Prancing horse long before Ferrari was even thought about.

It is rumored that Ferrari used the horse intended to be an insult towards the german auto manufacturers in Stuttgart and that they had downed a plane.

Not sure how true any of this is..but is amazing that Ferrari uses a symbol so close to Stuttgart's symbol. Even more amazing is Stuttgart roughly translates to "stallion stables" and scuderia is roughly translate to "stables"

Sort of interesting??

11. JMS

JMS 02

May 6, 2007
    This was the story I always heard http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665054/the-insane-story-behind-ferraris-famed-prancing-horse-logo-video

12. Bill Powell

Mar 10, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I've fortunate through working with cars to meet some very interesting people. I've heard both versions of the story and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Phil Hill told me this version, the fighter pilot version. For many years Scuderia Ferrari's job was to make Alfa Romeos go fast. Almost adozen years after he was given permission he put it on his cars for the 24 hr Spa (I believe.) That was twenty years before Porsche existed as a car company

Porsche was supposed to have taken the horse from the Stuttgart cety emblem. I don't think anyone stole anything from anyone.

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

It is very clear they did that.

Look at the Flag from the state of Wuerrtemberg

[​IMG]

The Porsche logo is simply the coat of arms used on that flag with the coat of arms from stuttgart in the middle of it.

[​IMG]

14. Bill Powell

Mar 10, 2002
    dallas, tx
    If anyone did it was Porsche. Ferrari was using the horse twenty years before Porsche existed.

Why couldn't couldn't it be coincidence?

If there was any thievery done it was done it was done by the fighter pilot's family. I've never heard of any kind of fued over it.

15. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Porsches is very clear. The coat of arms from stuttgart on top of that from wuerttemberg.

I heard at Porsche they claim Ferrari stole the prancing horse from stuttgart ( not Porsche). So there is some level of fued.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Bill Powell

Mar 10, 2002
    dallas, tx
    If that's true Porsche had no more right to the horse than Ferrari. Porsche was born in the Czech Republic.

17. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Neither one has more or less right...it's just interesting that Ferrari needs to use the coat of arms from Stuttgart. :)

You don't want to start about czech /Poland/germany. It's like sued-Tirol / Italy question today. Many think that much of northern europe is prussian....last time that ended badly

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. Bill Powell

Mar 10, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I don't really care. I was just making conversation. It's kind of like arguing over the origin of the swastika. There's a hundred different answers and they're all right.

19. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Aug 7, 2002
    North Carolina
    This one is probably an easy one but I don't know what it is. I snapped a pic of it a couple of months ago in Greenwich. Almost looks some kind of kit car. Ugly little thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Rabbi

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    Smart car roadster.